Control/Dimming PC as a remote for a Light Palette VL in Backup mode ?

NewBrdOP

Here is the setup:
One Light Pallete VL console set as "Main" in the control booth (up above second balcony) and one identical console set as "tracking backup" located off-stage right (at stage level, 2 stories down). You can see that during a show, if the main console crashes, the "backup" would take-over to keep the show running. The problem is that it's located quite far away for the board operator to keep pressing "GO" ...

Now as we all know, it is possible to use a PC laptop with the palette software as a "remote control" for a console (usually connected in the board in "main" mode).
Considering this, could it be possible to have the PC setup as a remote in the control booth, connected to the "backup" console, as to be able to trigger cues from the remote if the other one crashes ??

Is it technically possible in terms of network ? (having a remote connected to a Light Palette in backup mode)
Anyone tried it ?

To answer your question, no because the backup console doesn’t go live until the main console crashes. The backup console is mirroring the main console. Now once the backup console has gone online you will have the ability to remote into console with a PC. Now if you want you can make your PC a tracking backup. All you would need to do is take the channel key from the backup console and plug it into the PC and then run the Palette Offline Editor Backup program and your PC will now act as the backup console. If you have any other questions let me know, thanks.

I would not be entitled to remove the channel key from the backup board...

"then run the Palette Offline Editor Backup program and your PC will now act as the backup console"
Yes, I know I could do that. My question was more of a "technical curiosity" than a real issue ;)

Considering they connect over a network with IP adress and that the main and the backup dont share the same IP, I wondered if it could be possible to connect the PC to the backup IP ; making the remote AND the backup active simultanouesly when the main goes offline...

Bobby Harrel from the Strand-Dev forum had about the same feeling you have, saying the Remote is engineered to look for a "main" when connected to the network...

I will have a opportunity to give it a try sometime next week and share the results for those interested !

Thank you for your time,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back