Poll: Operation of fire curtain

Do you close your Fire Curtain when the building is not in use?

• Yes, always

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 7 7.7%
  • No, never

Votes: 71 78.0%
  • Other (please specify...)

Votes: 10 11.0%

• Total voters
We have a fire curtain in my high school theatre but it's not meant to be lowered and raised. You pull the ring on stage left and it flies down at the shin breaking speed. Once, our drama teacher though that the theatre needed a little more oomph or something and she hung flowers on the ring. I was trying to show the new kids where it was and I was like, "What are all these flowers doing here? Where's the fire curtain ring? It was here last week!!!" And then we got rid of the flowers.

And half the time something is always in the way of the fire curtain. So if we actually pulled the ring and needed to bring it in, it wouldn't work or it would crash through something valuable like our grand piano. That would suck.

I'm not really that worried though because we are a high school theatre. We don't use fire in our theatre unless the fire martial is present. And as long as I've been here, I've never seen a gel melt and catch someone's hair on fire or anything.

And half the time something is always in the way of the fire curtain. So if we actually pulled the ring and needed to bring it in, it wouldn't work or it would crash through something valuable like our grand piano. That would suck.

Having anything in the path of the fire curtain (other than people or when you are moving things) is a violation of fire codes in almost every state (if not every). Not to mention that smashing a piano would be a bummer.

I'm not really that worried though because we are a high school theatre. We don't use fire in our theatre unless the fire martial is present. And as long as I've been here, I've never seen a gel melt and catch someone's hair on fire or anything.

This is absolutely the wrong attitude. Thinking that nothing will happen is what leads to bad things happening. Just because you don't use fire in your shows without supervision doesn't mean that there won't be a fire. Codes are not in place for you to pick and choose from. They are there for your patrons and your own safety.

Having anything in the path of the fire curtain (other than people or when you are moving things) is a violation of fire codes in almost every state (if not every). Not to mention that smashing a piano would be a bummer.

I've actually talked to our theatre manager/TD about that and he seems to think that it's fine. I've managed to convince him to move stuff a few times, but he usually doesn't budge. I guess safety isn't as important as seeing a pianist's eyelashes, if you understand what I mean. But then again, you won't be able to see if your eyeballs get burned because the fire curtain didn't work properly and the piano spontaneously combusted.

And you're right. Anything can happen, especially when you're not prepared or you think it won't.

I've actually talked to our theatre manager/TD about that and he seems to think that it's fine. I've managed to convince him to move stuff a few times, but he usually doesn't budge. I guess safety isn't as important as seeing a pianist's eyelashes, if you understand what I mean. But then again, you won't be able to see if your eyeballs get burned because the fire curtain didn't work properly and the piano spontaneously combusted.

And you're right. Anything can happen, especially when you're not prepared or you think it won't.

Its really not fine, but I will restrain from going into it.
If the fire curtain were to drop it drops very fast. It WILL destroy anything it comes down on. I've heard stories about stage monitors and stands getting destroyed because they were in the way.

We always make sure that the fire curtain path is clear. Groups like to put there monitors and front fills right on the edge of the stage. But because of the fire curtain they have to move upstage (where i can actually light them :twisted:)

Its really not fine, but I will restrain from going into it.
If the fire curtain were to drop it drops very fast. It WILL destroy anything it comes down on. I've heard stories about stage monitors and stands getting destroyed because they were in the way.

I have heard stories as well, however, fire curtains are supposed to be regulated as to rate of drop and speed. In fact I believe that the code states there is a certain amount of time it is supposed to take for a curtain to fall but it has to decelerate to a certain speed for the last 8 feet.

At Westlake, we've got three ways to bring in the fire curtain.

1) Pull Stations
2) Fusable link
3) Computer

We count on the fusable links in case there's a fire when nobody's around.

I have heard stories as well, however, fire curtains are supposed to be regulated as to rate of drop and speed. In fact I believe that the code states there is a certain amount of time it is supposed to take for a curtain to fall but it has to decelerate to a certain speed for the last 8 feet.

My local Fire Marshall (Utah) has told me that the Fire Curtain should lower in 30 seconds or less.
I am unsure of the proper speed, but ours moves at 1 foot per second (27 foot pros.), w/ warning 'clicks' every foot for the last 8 feet.
I can adjust this speed by adjusting counterweight on the fire curtain arbor. If I remove too much counterweight - to make the curtain drop faster - the arbor wants to slam the top of it's track , so there's sort of a 'sweet spot'.
Also I never allow anyone to block the path of the fire curtain. We often have big shows in the theatre that hate moving their stuff to accomodate this, but I don't care.
My fire curtain is the type with a thin hemp rope and weight securing the hand line. It is supposed to burn through and release the curtain in the event of a fire-similar to a fusible link. If a fire starts overnight when no one's watching, that curtain needs to be able to function. That may be unlikely, but when a theatre is crammed full of hastily set-up gear anything is possible.

Last edited:
...the type with a thin hemp rope and weight securing the hand line. It is supposed to burn through and release the curtain in the event of a fire. ...
There are most-likely some fusible links connecting that 3/8"? hemp line. Designed to release at a specific temperature, much more dependable, and early-acting, than hemp burning through.

That makes a lot more sense - I'm going to search for those tomorrow - thanks!
Edit: that took about 3 seconds, there they are.

Last edited:
Some possibly (likely) pertinent information from the ESTA Standards Watch newsletter:
On April 21 the ANSI Board of Standards Review approved two more ESTA documents as American National Standards:

ANSI E1.4 - 2009, Entertainment Technology - Manual Counterweight Rigging Systems, describes the design and construction of manually powered counterweight rigging systems to help assure the safety of these system. The standard does not cover motorized systems, systems for flying performers, or systems used for moving materials during building construction.

ANSI E1.22 - 2009, Entertainment Technology - Fire Safety Curtain Systems, describes the materials, fabrication, installation, operation, testing, and maintenance of fire safety curtains and fire safety curtain systems used for theatre proscenium opening protection. The requirements avoid cook-book descriptions of fire safety curtain systems; they specify how a fire curtain shall perform.

The new standards are now published and available for purchase from The ESTA Foundation at ESTA Foundation - Publications - About Publications, Browse & Purchase. The download documents are in PDF 1.6 format, and can be opened with Adobe Acrobat or Acrobat Reader version 7 and later. The single-copy price for each is $40. ESTA member and quantity discounts are available.

Yeah ours will fall fast then slow down a few feet up... I've seen it fall way too many times... High school.. "hey what does that ring/rope do? Let's find out!" Some idiots... shrug.

Yeah ours will fall fast then slow down a few feet up... I've seen it fall way too many times... High school.. "hey what does that ring/rope do? Let's find out!" Some idiots... shrug.

Is access to a fire curtain not allowed to have a "In Case of Emergency Break Glass" or "In Case of Emergency Lift the Plastic Cover and Then Pull Alarm" box over it?

I'll lower it each year to test it's opperation, and also our custodial crew cleans our cats by using leaf blowers. having it down keeps dust off rigging and softgoods.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back