Pre-show Music

I chose a soundtrack based on the show, or season. Mostly lyric-free, lots of soundtracks, anything that fits the mood of the show.

Make sure your licensing is worked out, though.

Well even if its made up, what's it about? Is there some kind of theme you can reflect. Or do you want the audience in a particular mood? Classical before a show vs. death metal will put the audience in a different starting place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't stress too much about it, just put on something that is slightly similar to what the show is. If I'm doing a rock festival I'll put on what I like (obscure indy rock). If I'm doing corporate or banquets it's usually jazz. Sometimes I need top 40. It all depends on the gig. Classical can work but I've found it to be too dynamic; at certain points it's almost non-existent, and others it's mezzo forte. I don't want to be riding the fader during preshow music.

As a sound designer, I try to stay away from "preshow music," as in a sort of playlist of songs, and instead often create a kind of seamless soundscape of sounds and/or music for preshow. The idea is to set the stage for the performance from the moment someone walks into the theatre. With rare exceptions, I would stay away from any familiar or recognizable music (unless it strongly relates to the play), and anything that's in the form of discrete chunks like different songs. The whole half hour or so of preshow should be — in my mind — basically a seamless track created for the show.

Then again, not all shows work the same way, and for something informal or a show with a certain kind of aesthetic, a conventional playlist might work fine. But I'd still hope you'd choose songs based on the content of the play!

Then again, some shows — musicals, for instance — don't need preshow at all …

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

(John Scofield plays Ray Charles)

Its our go to pre-show/intermission/post show music... or our default "crazy guy start screaming at the stage at the end of a speech".

Last edited by a moderator:
I talked to one of my many TD's and found some artists that would be good for a black history show.

So far I have Louie Armstrong and then I have to look at an old script from a show I just did.

Any other famous old time african american singers???

Don't stress too much about it, just put on something that is slightly similar to what the show is. If I'm doing a rock festival I'll put on what I like (obscure indy rock). If I'm doing corporate or banquets it's usually jazz. Sometimes I need top 40. It all depends on the gig. Classical can work but I've found it to be too dynamic; at certain points it's almost non-existent, and others it's mezzo forte. I don't want to be riding the fader during preshow music.

I dont want to ride any faders for this show. Its at my old Elementary School, so I'm pretty much running everything. I'm getting 17 old Strand Century's from my High School for the elementary school and using one of my own intelligents as a special, and renting a 2 or 3 small dimmer packs. I have to pretty much teach the kids what to do as we go through the show, considering that they barely rehearse when ever I can be there.

I talked to one of my many TD's and found some artists that would be good for a black history show.

So far I have Louie Armstrong and then I have to look at an old script from a show I just did.

Any other famous old time african american singers???

Wow, so many to choose from. Do you have Pandora? That's a great source for the "what's similar?" question. Sometimes I'll just play an I Heart Radio station if I'm trying to keep the music in the same vein. Check out Keb Mo for some more contemporary (and more hi-fi sounding) bluesy "roots" music.

What time period does the show take place? For example, if it takes place in the 70s, Stevie wonder might be a good choice. If its 50/60s, some of the motown groups and soul groups would work great. Any earlier and id stick with Aretha Franklin, Loui Armstrong, ect. If its just a general history show with no specific time period then anything goes pretty much. Stevie wonder, the temptations, usher, Armstrong, Flo Rida, Zap and Roger, Dizzy Gilispe, Sean Jones, any of the above are great black artists, take your pick.

I'm still trying to find a show where I can use this music:

(It sounds much better through a PA system or at least good computer speakers/decent headphones)

Last edited by a moderator:
Do they have to be singers? I can think of cab Calloway, duke Ellington, jelly roll Morton, count Basie, miles Davis, they all fit in the same sort of genre generally.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I like Jazz for pre show. I usually use Rhapsody. Except during the holidays, when I find Christmas music to play.

Isn't that up to the sound designer and the director for each show? Or, if it's not directly related to the show in some way, how about nothing? There's nothing at all wrong with having the first sounds your audience hears be the show. Generic background music is not necessary. Sometimes we have spoken word meetings or events where the audio company plays some light classical music beforehand. Doesn't do much for me, personally.

proxy.php

In all seriousness, I do run sound for some dinner-type meeting/events and usually light guitar (Los Angeles Guitar Quartet is my usual go to) or soft jazz (Claude Boiling, Stan Getz, etc) works to set an ambiance. As for a show, if the script doesn't call for anything I don't play anything.

You say you're in high school... what kinds of shows are you running? School assemblies? Talk to the administrators/coordinators for the show. See what they want! If they don't say anything in particular, but do indeed want music, play music appropriate for the event. i find that sometimes a simple search on Youtube for some sort of long (as in an hour) study music or music appropriate to the audience is useful. Hitting play on an hour long track and not having to worry about it is always nice. For a teenage audience at an assembly, maybe a long dubstep track? Or for a more formal assembly, try a long classical piece?

Play some upbeat music of the Hot 100 if it's for a teenage audience? Pay more attention to music that is mainly instrumental, since it will be hard to hear with all the background noise probably. Somethings like this for entrance music?
Or something more upbeat. Just give Youtube a shot! See what you find! As for the show "Harvey", definitely talk to the sound designer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back