Control/Dimming Programming Challenge

ScaredOfHeightsLD

Hey Everyone,

I've been faced with an interesting programming challenge by my designer and I thought I would throw it out to everyone on the forum to see if there are any better suggestions than what I was planning.

Relevant rig information: EOS console and VL3500Q Fixtures.

What the designer has requested is a moving square of light that will maintain its shape and axis as it moves in a straight line. She would like this to be accomplished with 2 of the 3500's which are hung about 3' DS of where the effect needs to take place. So having the lights move on 1 axis of motion is not an option. What is happening right now is in Q1 there is a square SL and in Q2 a square SR. The transition between the two is taking the path of least resistance and creating a rotating arc of a square across the stage.

My current thought is to add enough point cues as references between point A and point B in which I will rotate the shutter assembly and angles so that the square remains consistant. However, I am sure that someone has tried to do this before and I was wondering if this was indeed the best option, or if I am missing a better option.

Thanks!

-Mike Berger

Well... Hrm...
The 3500's shutter attribute is probably what needs to be used more effectively... Rather than point cues...

Think about it like this:
You want to get the light's tilt yoke on such an angle, that the 'square' of light, ONLY needs to tilt between the two cues.
So, for your first trick, make it a circle... Ditch the shutter info, and play around, until the light is not panning at all, only tilting between the two cues.
(This may not be possible, but try anyway... If it is, you'll save yourself the point cue headache.)

Once you've got the movement down, slowly add in the VL's shutters to make the 'square' of light... Obviously, you won't just be able to thrust the shutters in a percentage now, you'll need to move the edges of each individually, to get the angles right... A lot more shutter work, but the move should be smooth as silk.

If that made ANY sense at all.

Failing that, if the lights MUST pan and tilt together... Use the shutter to 're-shape' the square at the end, so that it matches the angle of the square at the start... If done right, the light should reshape as it moves, for a more seamless transition.

I'm thinking a custom curve. Whichever axis is traveling the short distance (tilt?) will need a slow-top/fast-middle/slow-bottom curve to counter the up/down shift because of the pan. Or, maybe simpler, would be to add a point cue in the middle and then just use a slow-top curve for the first cue and the opposite for the second cue. I've never done this before, but that is what I would try.

-Tim

I would also suggest that you tell the EOS to make it a linear move and not a polar move. I forget how you do that, but I am pretty sure that you can. The console will then calculate how it has to move the P&T so that the fixture tracks in a straight line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back