Projection Data

stgnfilm

Hello gang,

I'm looking to set up a hippo server (amba) and at the moment up to three projectors. I have one output which at the moment I am considering to use a datapath X4 to split the signal. Oh great collection of wisdom....what is the best / preferred method to transmit the signal from the X4 to the projectors? I've heard just about every answer possible. Any that you have found does not work? I'm looking at a distance anywhere from 30' up to 100' from the X4 to the projectors.

Thanks.

Sean

I have found that you can get a good, reliable DVI signal up to 50' using a 24 AWG cable . I have used up to 100', with occasional difficulty. A lot of it depends on budget and how you are using the equipment. There can be challenges and benefits to each method of extending a cable run. How do you plan on using this? Is this a one time install or do you plan on setting this up multiple times?

I have found that you can get a good, reliable DVI signal up to 50' using a 24 AWG cable . I have used up to 100', with occasional difficulty. A lot of it depends on budget and how you are using the equipment. There can be challenges and benefits to each method of extending a cable run. How do you plan on using this? Is this a one time install or do you plan on setting this up multiple times?

Thanks for the reply. This will be a case by case application for my school's theatre productions. Sometimes, I may stack the projectors...other times they may be separated. Right now, looking at converting the DVI out to HDMI to Cat5 or Cat6.

If your projector will receive DVI, stick with that as you will encounter fewer DRM issues. Baluns are a great option for running long distance, especially as Ethernet cable is so readily available. One thing to watch for is skew. Depending on how the Balun handles the translation of the video signal, you may be required to stick with a specific type of cable. I do like the convenience of pulling cable to length and then terminating it myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back