Conventional Fixtures Pros & Cons of LED Striplights

SPNicholl

I'm searching for all the good, bad, and ugly facts of LED Strips out there.

Our theater owns around 20 6'-Mini-Stips, and they're at the point where repairing is going to cost so much time and money that we're going to try and look in to what LED units would be best to replace them. Looking at ETC Selador 63" and Chroma Q Colorforce 72". Since they've been out for a while, does anyone have opinions on color shift over time on these units, punch, beam spread... or perhaps a comparable fixture that would be up to the match?

Toss in your opinions on what doesn't work and what you would like to have given a budget. Cheers!

The Chroma Q units come very well recommended, as do the Seladors.

If you have the depth, from electric to drop/cyc, I'd also look at the Altman Spectra series open faced wash units. This style unit tends to give a more even wash of the drop/cyc.

That said, I'm spec'ng either 21" or 63" Seladors, having demo'd the 21, as the fixture has a great color system. I've had these units side-by-side against my double hung L&E MR-16's and the Seladors blow the incandescent's out of the water, especially in the blues. I'm budgeting $43,000 for 7 of the 63" fixtures, plus lenses, plus relays. As opposed to roughly $12,000 in parts and labor to renovate my L&E's, which is a waste of money at this point long term, IMO.

One thing to remember, if you plan to light a painted drop, the seladors will give you a much better color rendition than any RGBA unit. I have the altman spectra cycs in my space and find they do very well on a white cyc, a
Though the gamut is no where near as great as the seladors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back