Question about Leviton MC 7524 submaster programming

jack63ss

I recently purchased an older MC7524, primarily because my dimmers are a mix of DMX and MPX. I would like to be able to use this with a couple of newer LED lights, but each of them requires 4+ channels per light. And what I can't figure out is how to program channels 25-48 into the submasters ? A 48 channel board with the ability to store 384 submasters (16*24) where you can only use channels 1-24 does not seem to make sense to me.
Thanks
Jack

In the Master Section, located in the upper right-hand corner of the board, you'll find a button "main menu." Tap this if you are not already in the main menu. Once in the main menu, on the LCD screen, you'll see the word "Setup." Tap the button under that word. Now in the left-hand corner of the screen will appear the word "MODS" to allow you to set one of three modes on the board: 2 scenes with the a/b faders ("B"); the subs (SUB); or all 48 channels ("sngl"). As you tap the button under the word "Mods" a green led light will appear to the right of the faders corresponding to each of the modes. When the light lands on "25-48" you're now in the 48 channel mode. Be sure, however, in "setup" to tap the button for "more" until you get to the "memory size." This sets the consoles memory which now must be 48 (I think the board defaults to 24). You should be able to use all 48 faders now. Hit the record button to record to a sub - you'll be asked to tap the sub button where you want to store the look. When you are in the 48 channel mode you can only record 8 pages of 24 looks. The 16X24 storage only works when you're recording only from channels 1 -24. Also keep in mind you'll need to be in the Sub mode to record queues. If you don't have an instruction manual here is the link. http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ProductDetail.jsp?partnumber=N7524&section=38197&minisite=10251 Scroll down to the "support" section for the PDF file.

David

David
Thanks, that was what I needed to know. I have a copy of the manual, but it was not real clear to me what the specific steps were. I also think I may have my memory set at 24 instead of 48.
Again, THANKS !
Jack

David
Thanks, that was what I needed to know. I have a copy of the manual, but it was not real clear to me what the specific steps were. I also think I may have my memory set at 24 instead of 48.
Again, THANKS !
Jack

Glad to help. In the venue where I use this board I actually have 4 very old NSI dimmers on the FOH truss and 62 dimmers on an older Strand system. Even though I only have 48 channels I still set my dimmer # to 100, although I could get away with only 78 (62 + the 16 satellite dimmers FOH) I use a lot of 2fers and often assign the same channel to a number of dimmers. Not sure what your circumstances are but you may need to think about more dimmers than 48 if you have more addresses to assign. I agree. The manual's instructions are a bit obtuse.

DaVID

David
I think the big problem was that I would put the board in Sngl 25-48 mode, set the scene, THEN change the mode to Subs to record the submaster. Following your instructions it now works FINE ! And I think for now 48 straight up will work, as most of my venues are fairly small (either 12, 16 or 24 house fixtures depending on the venue). I always wind up bringing in additional lights, but 24 additional channels should be enough.
Thanks Again,
Jack

David
I think the big problem was that I would put the board in Sngl 25-48 mode, set the scene, THEN change the mode to Subs to record the submaster. Following your instructions it now works FINE ! And I think for now 48 straight up will work, as most of my venues are fairly small (either 12, 16 or 24 house fixtures depending on the venue). I always wind up bringing in additional lights, but 24 additional channels should be enough.
Thanks Again,
Jack
I'm guessing you're already recording queues even though you would have the option of using the a/b faders if you only had 24 single-address fixtures. Even for small shows I always record q's,
using one sub per q. Obviously I often use more than 1 page of subs, but with 8 pages available that's no problem. Here the Manual's instructions are pretty easy to follow. Play back of q's is also fairly straight forward. Editing the q's through the subs is kinda slow but manageable with 48 channels. Having good paperwork helps. However, I haven't found a way to change fade times without re-recording every q.
David

Up until now I have always tended to do A LOT manually, primarily because of limitations with the number of subs. One of the venues has an ETC Smartfade (96 channel, 512 memories) and is really easy to use, so when I work there I do generally program all the queues. In the other venues I have an ETC Acclaim 100 (8 subs), a Leviton MC 7016 (16 subs) and a NCM 1600 (12 subs), which is why I bought the MC 7524. And most of my shows are simple enough that 1 sub per scene, 1 page per act will probably work just fine.
Jack

Users who are viewing this thread

Back