Quick Color Theory - Quirky Dress Image from Tumblr

Hi,

By now, some of you might have noticed the picture wreaking havoc across the internet of a BLUE AND BROWN colored dress that many people see as either BLUE AND BLACK or WHITE AND GOLD. I took some time and dove into it on Facebook, but I thought you all might have some fun hearing about it here.

First, the image:
10953153_336317759905984_317182508088561847_o.jpg

The dress in question here is actually this one, which is, in reality, BLUE AND BLACK: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00SJEUCWU/?tag=contro0a-21

But people are seeing it as white and gold? What on earth is going on here?

I like empirical data, so I went and got myself some. Here is the definitive answer on what the colors actually are, ignoring all relative perception: The darker areas are a dark tone of gold/brown (a tone is the color with gray added). The lighter areas are blue. The washed out background is white or off white towards yellow. I've included an image with numerous samples points below. Plug them into any color picking application and see for yourself.
blueandbrowndress.jpg
I remind you that even though the real dress is blue and black, we don't know that just looking at this image. For that reason, it doesn't matter what color the dress initially was - we only perceive what is here and now in this image.

I'm a lighting designer, and spent a good year of my life just comparing colors. I'm no colorist, but from my trained eye I see blue and black immediately, and upon closer inspection see that it's actually a tone of gold/brown. I have looked at this image on five screens, varying the color from lowest brightness all the way to brightest. Two of the screens are color calibrated to be CIE1934 accurate. The colors stay the same for me, though I lose the gold/brown perception at very low levels due to the reduction in color sensitivity at lower light levels. My eyes are very pale blue, in case anyone thinks that might have impacted it. My parents see white/gold. My brother and I see blue/dark brown. We all have blue eyes.

Now, down to explanation time:

The colors in this photo are very, very desaturated. Below is a double saturation version of the image. Unlike contrast, which increases the brightness variations, the saturation adjustment used here calculates the hue and then spreads out the primaries to show the true color.
blueandbrowndresshighsat.jpg

As we can see, it's blue and... well, I guess we can call that color bronze. Most people will see it about as gold. But what is causing the total misperception?

There are a few causes. The first is the lack of quality between screen primaries and gamma calibrations. Some screens will not properly display the colors. This is, however, the least of our worries, as it just shifts the colors instead of wildly changing them.

Second, we have the fact that these are complimentary colors, the brighter of which is blue. As we all know from our color and lighting theory, light fits into a key role or a fill role most of the time, and our particular key light is special. The key light of a visual determines what our brain and eyes will attempt to see as "white." When our eyes shift the blue towards white (as it is very low saturation and doesn't take much effort at all - the color is only 15 points of HSB saturation away from no color), our brain will shift the entire scene further towards the warm end of the color temperature correction curve, meaning that the gold will become even MORE gold. This is an effect that occurs normally over time, but can happen rapidly, especially when the key light is so close to simply being off white.

Third, and perhaps most interestingly, our eyes themselves are at fault. As a species we see rather well, but we do not agree on what we see as readily as we agree on a mathematics answer. Our eyes are made up of rods and cones. Rods see black and white, cones see color, divided up into either red, green, and naked peopl- I mean, blue. Of those three, our blue cones are the weakest in their color range because they are responsible for so much of it - if we look at a chart of what our cones each see, you might even feel sorry for the little guys:
500px-Cones_SMJ2_E.svg.png
The blues are all by themselves, and take a beating from higher energy wavelengths in the cyan, blue, indigo, violet, and ultra violet areas of the spectrum. Most likely, from the sample set of people I've observed, the issue can be caused just as much by aging cones as random genetics.

When we combine all these factors, we can see how the issue arises. However, what if the image were a different set of hues, like below?
magentaandtealdress.jpg

I think we can all agree that the dress is either a rose, pink or, more accurately, magenta, and, if we look close enough, the apparent black is actually toned towards a mint green. If you aren't sure, it's saturated more below:
magentaandtealdresshighsat.jpg

Cool, huh? Always remember the effects of your color choices might have on the perception of your scene. Even if we might (or might not) notice a particular set of colors and their interactions, we have no guarantee that other people will agree with us.

Thank you all for your time. I will edit in answers to questions and corrections as they come up. Happy Hunting!

I know it's black and blue, I've only seen it white and gold once, and that was when this thread loaded, I was going to tell you that you must have loaded one of the edited ones with the blue removed. But by the time I scrolled back up it was back to normal and I saw black and blue. But now that I've seen it once my mind hurts. It's so clearly blue I couldn't see how anyone could see white. I got a glimpse and can't make it happen again. Bothersome.

I only see white and gold when I invert the colors on my phone. I'm curious to look on a couple of other screens and see if that changes anything. Otherwise it's pretty clearly Blue and Black, although I can see why the black might appear more brownish because of the lighting on the dress.

The one time I saw it as white and gold, there wasn't a question that was the actual color. As sure as I am that it's actually blue and black, I was sure it was white and gold. It wasn't a "oh I guess I can see where they'd see that" it was clearly white. One of the strangest moments I've had when it changed.

I find this absolutely fascinating. The first time I saw this image was earlier this morning on my phone on this forum. It looked like it needed to be properly white balanced. The dress had just a tinge of blue but looked like it was supposed to be white and gold. I got to work and opened up CB while enjoying my morning coffee and took a second look. I could swear someone swapped the images out. It's now black and blue. I looked at my phone again and it's black and blue. Twilight Zone moment.

This article from Wired is pretty interesting:

http://www.wired.com/2015/02/science-one-agrees-color-dress/

It contains 3 variations of the image with the original in the middle. I'd be curious if looking at the three changes the perception of anyone who sees white and gold. All three still look blue and black to me.

Thanks for the morning entertainment, Max!

I still see white and gold. I hate my life.

Last edited:
Saw this image a number of times - fascinating.
Gold and white for the first and second times. Wife on the second time seeing it said it was black and blue. Black and blue?, I have no idea of what you are seeing in watching the same thing. Wife’s eye’s are brown, mine are green and color blind - though the hue of the iris has nothing to do with color perception. Third time this morning I saw the image, I moved myself to a harsh angle on the TV and I was able to see the black and blue image. Later tonight, on an analogue TV, I saw the image and it was still gold and white with a tinge of blue that was probably already there before.
On the news this morning the female newscaster saw as with my Wife the proper colors.
Fascinating, though not male/female thing in seeing what they will. In reading into the story, I hear that company didn’t orientate that discussion of color and is working on the reverse color scheme now. They are pleased to look into such a thing.
Still though, I don’t believe any of the above have answer to this concept in what happened and how to reproduce it on stage. That would be so cool as I think we all initially thought. This especially if a male/female response from what they saw.

My wife held up the picture to me. "What do you see?" I said "White and gold." She said "I see black and blue." Same picture!!!! UGH so bizarre.

So weird, I've seen the image a few times, always white and gold. Read this post and see that it should be black and blue, and now it's black and blue.

Curious- nobody seems to mention the black and white fabric in the lower left. Does it change anyone's perspective?

(Or maybe somebody will see that fabric as pink and green?)

I very definitely see white (or very pale blue) and gold, even with the black and white fabric at the lower left.

Mrs. Footer and I got into a massive arguement on this the other night. We both came home from a two 16 hour days back to back. Laying in bed I mentioned "wow, that stupid blue and black dress really blew up facebook today".... and she said "you mean that white and gold dress?"..... I almost divorced her right there. We then spent the next hour screaming about it.

Is there really something fascinating here and can it work on stage? Didn't think it guy/girl but suspect that might be it from the above. Now to find the play that such a statement in costume could be useful in helping as per not a distraction. Love others saw what I did and Wifie saw otherwise. Flat screen monitor saw from side angle, saw the black but otherwise not all thru the day.

Looking forward to more discussion and real on stage trials of this concept of a magical set of colors.

if such a concept is correct, can we even make for one sex someone dissipeer simply by color recognition should the lighting be proper to block it out?

I got a glimpse and can't make it happen again. Bothersome.

That's where I am. Saw it first on FB and thought it was white/gold before realizing what the hoopla was about. I assumed some starlet had donned this dress at the Oscars and some sort of tabloid nonsense ensued, so I got frustrated when none of the posts/stories led back to who was wearing the dadgum dress in the first place because I couldn't believe such a fuss could be raised about what amounts to a modern-day "Do you see an old woman or a young woman?"

Then I saw it again as blue, and while I can still see that it could be considered white and gold it's now blue and black in my mind (and in the proof) and irrevocable at this point. It's like when you're sitting on a bus and another bus is next to you and one begins to move. For that fleeting moment you're not sure which bus is actually moving, yours or the one next to you and an instant later the ambiguity is gone and the magic disappears. Color is a learned concept, constructed in our minds at a very early age based on subjective interpretations of reflected light. It's a pointless argument in that sense, but the fact remains that we are very attached to our self-designed methods of deciphering the world about us.

Looking forward to more discussion and real on stage trials of this concept of a magical set of colors.
It would be much harder to pull off such a impression on a theater audience - I even wonder how may people would see this photo differently in print than they do on screen. On screen the photo consists of a mixture of red, green, and blue light. Perhaps if you wanted to get different color perceptions for different people on stage you could acomplish it by lighting with a very spikey spectrum (usually considered a problem of cheap LEDs).

I have a feeling there is a lot less science to this than the internets wants us to think.

First off, it is a terribly lit photo with poor white balance and poor exposure. As most computer owners don't use good displays or calibrated displays, that poses yet more issues. And lastly, had the question been posed simply as "what color is this this dress?" Rather than "is this blue and black or white and gold?" I think the answer would be quite different. When you give people a choice, they are going to see one or the other. They are going to be looking for one or the other. If you posed the question as "is the dress blue or purple?" People would see blue and purple.

As a photographer, I spend a lot of time look at and balancing images. Most people's eyes are generally good at white balancing. It actually allows us to do some pretty cool things in theatre lighting as we can use some subtle colors to adjust the white balance of a look to really change the mood. Wanna really mess with people's heads? Even a light lavender can be "white" when used correctly.

Point being, the original image clearly has a white reference point. Just look at the blown highlights in the upper right corner. That would likely measure as pure white. With a good white reference like that, seeing the blue of dress as white would mean that your eyes are shifting the color temp by thousands of K, or you can't actually perceive the difference between the highlights and the dress. You also clearly have whites and blacks in the pattern of the fabric behind the dress on the left.

The gold or brown color tint in the black areas of the dress is probably due to digital noise. Odd are, this photo was processed in some way after it was taken. It may be the magic wand in photos on an iPhone, or it could have been pushed through real imaging software. In any case, the exposure was likely altered which exaggerates the noise, and noise is always more apparent in shadow areas (blacks). Amplifying the noise, while cause color distortion. Of course the strong backlight in the image also causes distortion and haze which alters the tonality of the colors.

There really is no way the dress in the image could be white and gold. The tonality of the blue is so much darker than the whites that exist in the image. i mean, we are talking orders of magnitude darker.

For the record, I knew at once that it was blue and some dark colored trim; being a photographer, I didn't ignore the background, and it confirmed for me that the photo was 4-5 stops overexposed, so that was the compensation my brain applied.

For what it's worth, being an erstwhile graphic designer, I also make a point to have my displays balanced to roughly 5600K, rather than the 9300K most consumer displays are set to; this is on point here as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back