Really Thick Gel

CraigV

Hey, guys. So I found a pile of really think, partially labeled gel in a pile while cleaning and was wondering if anyone could help to identify it based on a description of the color and the numbers that I found written on them.

Again, these are really thick (thicker than any Rosco/Gam/Lee/Apollo I've seen).

77: Light Green, very similar to R87.
158: Orange, very similar to R23.
52 or 552: (they appear to be the same color but some are labeled 52 and some are 552) Amber, between R02 and R04.
809: Piss Yellow, deeper than R312.
810: Deep Gold/Straw, similar to R15.
815: Deep Orange, more true of an orange than 158.
818: Red, a hair pinker than R25.
825: Light Pink, close to R35.
826: Deeper Pink, close to R36.
830: More Red but Still Pink, can't find a similar color.
849: Light Blue, similar to R62.
854: Teal, similar to R30.

I know that it isn't a lot to go on, but it's all I have. I can take some pictures next time it's 5000k outside, if that would help.

77 is probably Roscolene 877.
158 is Lee 158.
52 or 552 is Cinemoid, equivalent to Lee 152.
800 numbers are Roscolene.

Don't expect any except the L158 to last very long in T/H fixtures.

The thick Roscolene and Cinemoid were the only gels around when I started! (One other, I forget) Then Lee came around and they were super thin and long lasting compared to the old stuff. Now the Lee feels thick compared to what is out there! When Roscolux first came out, it was a crazy thin but held up well.
Still love the feel and look of the old stuff, but time marches on! Nice for collection and exhibit. Will probably work great on LED fixtures with little heat. If it's the only stuff you have, then you have to live with it until money becomes available. Just don't expect much life on a hot fixture.

Thank you. I actually have a lot of gel, mostly Roscolux but I do have some Gam and Lee filters (and even a couple cuts of Apollo Fatherless Amber) that I never use. I would use it, but I only just got around to sorting my non-Rosco gel. It's just nice to be able to sort all of it properly, and hopefully start using it.

If any of this is Cinemoid it will have a strong acidic smell and the paler colours will still be fine. The Lee gels were the same colours as Cinemoid but prefaced with a 1

I actually have some gels like this, not the same colors, but pretty thick. Would it be a good idea to put the in some source four parnels and in some elliposidals that have a breakup in them?

I have an old stock similar to what you describe. Worked fine in a 575w special which was used infrequently. When I put it in a constant 750w, it burned up during the first rehearsal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back