Microphones Recording an amateur performance from LX bars

techietim

Hello Fellow Techies!

We are putting on a production at a really tiny pub theatre (very cool!) locally and I really want to do some recordings of it (copyright all cleared) and the cast would like to do that too.

The space is so small, realistically, I'm gonna have to put something like an SM58 (not got much else myself!) onto the lighting bars and run the cables to my recording system.

The question is how on earth can I easily attach the two microphones onto the lighting bar, unless you have any other simple ways of doing the recording...
(I have a small budget if required).

Thank you in advance,
Tim :)

I am assuming that the instruments on this pipe are par cans? I see a potential for the hum that some lamps put out being an issue if they are in close proximity to the mics. I know this is an issue with HPL's, I'm not sure if this is as much of an issue with par lamps.

Not as sure as to a good rigging solution.

I am assuming that the instruments on this pipe are par cans? I see a potential for the hum that some lamps put out being an issue if they are in close proximity to the mics. I know this is an issue with HPL's, I'm not sure if this is as much of an issue with par lamps.

Not as sure as to a good rigging solution.

Don't think we are using any PAR cans actually! Mainly fresnels and profiles. Though I guess they could have the same problem?...

Hoping someone can come up with a solution...

Take a 3/8 to 5/8 mic stand adapter and insert it into the relevant mic clip (avoid plastic adapters like the plague).
Stick a 3/8 UNC / Whitworth bolt and put that through a lighting clamp and into the clip adapter.

Insert a mic stand boom between clamp and mic clip if needed.

Find an appropriate way to add a safety cable of some description...

Thanks Chris! When the bolt is through the clamp surely there will be some excess meaning the bolt would slide up and down through the clamp? Any way to combat that?...

Option 1: Use a shorter bolt, either by purchase or by cutting
Option 2: Use a longer bolt, insert a nut into the chain beneath the clamp and then probably a nut to lock against the clamp. This has the benefit of allowing the first nut to be loosened to rotate the assembly on the clamp without risk of undoing the whole thing and dropping it...

Option 1: Use a shorter bolt, either by purchase or by cutting
Option 2: Use a longer bolt, insert a nut into the chain beneath the clamp and then probably a nut to lock against the clamp. This has the benefit of allowing the first nut to be loosened to rotate the assembly on the clamp without risk of undoing the whole thing and dropping it...

Cool! 3/8 nut I assume?

Thanks! All ordered :D

The 58 isn't ideal for this type of recording as you are probably aware. If you've got an extra $60 laying around I would recommend Behringer C-2's. They come as a pair, with the mounting bar clip that can hold both mics and arrange them however you'd like and they sound great for $30 apiece.

Just noticed that you're in the UK, make that £39.00.

Agreed, a 58 is unsuitable, it was late when I wrote the post. If I can't borrow any mics I probably will get the C2s as I've used them before (or maybe it was the B5s!)...trying not to spend too much money or the producer will not be a happy bunny!
The venue has already proved to be ridiculously expensive... :(

Wahoo, got the mics up in the rig yesterday and my test recordings have worked quite nicely! :D
I shall pop some photos on here later today/tomorrow for those who are interested in what it looks like - photos won't be great quality as without the stage LX on it's quite dark (workers are being replaced with brighter ones!).

Photo's didn't come out great due to the way I have to light in the venu (will post photos of that later).
Below give some idea of roughly how hidden they are! Took the cast a while to see them even though they knew! Will pop some photos on of the whole mic assembly when I take them down tomorrow.

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

They are Behringer B-5 condenser microphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back