Control/Dimming Replacement for an Express 125

variable

We have a very traditional, no moving fixture, no LED show that's been running for 40+ years with little tweaks. After it's 4th failure and about 5000 shows I've convinced my boss to let me retire the Express 125 console we bought in the 90s and I'm looking for a brand new console. I'm looking for a console with similar dimensions (our desk was built for the Express console and won't accommodate anything much bigger) that's really reliable without a lot of bells and whistles. The producers are very conservative and don't even want to discuss anything fancy like color changers or moving lights, and though I'm dragging them into the 21st century slowly, I don't want to pay a lot of extra money

I'd like some advice for what would be a good upgrade for our theater.

I'd strongly suggest the ETC Element, which is their successor to the Express line. The Element offers the same sort of control over conventionals, and fairly easy hands-on control of LEDs and color scrollers. Moving light functions are present but a little "under the hood" and less easily manipulated than the Ion or the Eos (the other ETC consoles in the same line.)

The physical dimensions are fairly similar -- I think the Element is around 36" wide x 18" deep; the Express 125 is a little less wide but deeper, if I recall.

Agree with Matt, EDIT: Element would be a good choice.

And for bonus points, its even possible to port over the cue file from Express to Emphasis, so potentially no need to write all the cues new into the new console.

Last edited:
I am looking into that. Are there any issues with using a Windows based OS for a console? I was also wondering if I'd be able to import our macros from the Express as I'd have a bear of a time reproducing them on a different system.

Meant Element, sorry.

Note sure about importing Macros, it's been a few years since I had to port from older ETC to the Eos family.

The process essentially uses the Expression Off-Line Editor with a 3.5" floppy drive to import the Express show file. You then use the legacy editor to save as an ASCII file. You can then import that to the Element. I don't think Macros came over, but possibly somebody from ETC can chime in. My recollection when I moved from Express to Ion was I had to rebuild all the macros.

And yes, the Windows based desks are very reliable. The first generation Eos/Ion and Elements are all WinXP embedded, with the newer desk all based on Win 7 embedded. It's a locked down OS that causes no issues.

Last edited:
I too would recommend the Element. A few subtle differences, but all based off the same system and structure. If that is out of budget, then we can probably come up with some other options. But the major convenience is importing your existing show and having it work almost instantly.

But the major convenience is importing your existing show and having it work almost instantly.

Unfortunately if macros don't convert over then I'll still have a ton of work. We've got about a dozen macros designed to create different chase effects for a four circuit proscenium arch string. Still, the Element looks like our best bet. It's either that or revel in 1990s architecture for the rest of the decade.

Does anyone have any experience networking Eos consoles with an iPad or similar device? That's what I'm drooling over the chance to do.

You may find that those macros are trivially replaced by the effects engine built into the Eos family of consoles, and plenty of people willing to help replace the macros.

ETC offers an iPad app that acts as a remote focus unit. In future releases of the software you can look forward to being able to hook in OSC apps like Lemur or TouchOSC.

Element does not have all the features of Ion, Gio, and Eos Ti so take a close look before buying to see if any of those features are essential to you.

But the major convenience is importing your existing show and having it work almost instantly.

Unfortunately if macros don't convert over then I'll still have a ton of work. We've got about a dozen macros designed to create different chase effects for a four circuit proscenium arch string. Still, the Element looks like our best bet. It's either that or revel in 1990s architecture for the rest of the decade.

Does anyone have any experience networking Eos consoles with an iPad or similar device? That's what I'm drooling over the chance to do.

I suspect the macros's won't be that much a burden. It took me a day to write the 50 or so I use for focus.

ETC sells ($50) an app for iPhone/Pad and all similar Android devicesknow as the iRadio Focus Remote and the Android version. They are found on the iTunes and Google Play stores. There's a whole page of info on the ETC site.
http://www.etcconnect.com/Search.aspx?q=irfr

Last edited by a moderator:
I suspect the macros's won't be that much a burden. It took me a day to write the 50 or so I use for focus.

ETC sells ($50) an app for iPhone/Pad and all similar Android devicesknow as the iRadio Focus Remote and the Android version. They are found on the iTunes and Google Play stores. There's a whole page of info on the ETC site.
http://www.etcconnect.com/Search.aspx?q=irfr

That's great news about the macros. We've been using the same 11-12 macros since the founder of the company passed away 20 years ago and they Do Not Like Change! I'm definitely going to have to look up that app. Now I just have to get work to install a WFN!

Thanks everyone for all the feedback. I'm having the Element demo'd tomorrow and I managed to get approval from the financiers thanks to what I learned here.

Well since my computer isn't throwing up today I can actually write my reply (apologies for the ghost post above...). Anyways, I too concur with the ETC Element. It's a great board that'll feel very natural to you coming off the Express. If I remember correctly the Element defaults to LTP for intensities, so that might be a little bit of an adjustment if you're used to programming with HTP. I agree with the others in that you definitely need to weigh the various features on the different EOS consoles to make sure you get what's best for you. I'd suggest requesting a demo from ETC, but it looks like you already did that! What did you think? I demo-d three different consoles before making the purchase and have nothing but great things to say about ETC's sales and support. They really helped me make sure I bought the right console for my needs without any pressure to get the most expensive option. No worries about running Windows 7 embedded either. Almost all consoles these days are running Linux or Windows, and the nice thing about running Windows under the hood is that all Windows 7 accessories should work without the need for much configuration (touchscreens, wireless keyboards, etc). Good luck with the demo!

Getting WIFI access to the board is also pretty easy if you are at all network ready.
  1. Don't connect it to the general network/internet. That invites trouble from the outside world and does very, very little good.
  2. Plug a access point (preferred over a router for simplicity) into the back of the console. Depending on what you get you might need to do some simple set up for it. All you want is the iPad/Android/Computer to connect and get an IP, usually from the console. I just got a mini one for my portable tools that cost $43.
  3. For complete security come show time, unplug the access point.

The Element will be perfectly fine for your needs and is probably your best option. I use one day in and day out and while I wish it had some of the features of the rest of the EOS line there is nothing that you'll miss from the express - might be worth going to the ion just for the form factor and better tools. If you upgrade the rest of your system later, you'll be able to accommodate MLs, changers and a host of other gadgets, not to mention that effects are far better than macros for chase effects and so on, and can be built into the comprehensive cue stack. I think you'll really enjoy it.

As far as OS questions go, my spare Express console boots to Windows 95 or 98, so I really don't know why there's even a question about stability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back