Reverse Turnbuckle?

Is there anything out there like a 'reverse turnbuckle'? Similar to shower curtain rod, that is a little more industrial. Something that spreads outwards by turning....well...a turnbuckle.

Basically trying to hang 3 lightweight paper lanterns in between two brick columns. The problem is that the columns go (from the floor) through the ceiling, up to the next floor. There is an opening (kind of window) where I can get up above the ceiling and still see the columns. I am trying to create 'outwards pressure' between the columns so that I have a 'beam' of sorts to hang the lanterns from. I don't want people to see the rod, just the lanterns. The width of the window is about 3ft. (see really crappy attached photo).

A shower curtain rod would probably work as the total weight of these lanterns is about 3lbs. I am just trying to see if there is anything better out there that I can re-use for other purposes. (Basically saying a shower curtain rod is a stupid idea and I am trying my hardest to get something a little more 'professional')

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
John

Attachments

• Boarding house.jpg
    Boarding house.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 530
I believe that they make scaffolding components which comprise a long bar with levers to extended it at each end so it can be secured between two walls. They're going to be much much heavier though.

Right; damnit, those were what I was thinking of.

Logistics gear is the magic word for the heavier stuff, I think.

image.jpg
What about a standard pipe clamp/ spreader. Cut a standard pipe and add this. Useful for lots later. Reverse the orange clamp pieces pictured to spread instead of clamp.

Thanks for the ideas folks!

This is most certainly a one-off, and I do not want to drill into the brick, even if they allow it (which I am sure they don't).

The pickup truck load bar seems promising, and would definitely be something I could use later. The pipe clamp/spreader also seems like a great idea and something I could use later (however I have never used one with a pipe, just the wood clamp ones, which I am sure its the same way of usage).

I appreciate all the great ideas, I can report on what I use and how well it works once I set this up!

Thanks,
Mr. Sandwich

Is that Alpana Singh's Boarding House? Is part of your compensation going to be a meal? It should be.

For some reason, all I see is brick (even for the 'ceiling' in between the pillars. Sometimes I might just 'choke' the pillars with some aircraft cable, and tie a line in between them. This however is a problem because I do not have access to get 'around' the brick pillars. I probably wouldn't mind even driving a nail into the 'ceiling' if it were wood, and just securing it to the nail (as these paper lanterns do not even have lights in them, I could hold them up with a fan, maybe I should just pay a crew to dress in brick textured clothing and sit their and blow the darn things the entire evening......).

And Len, yes this is the same one. Surprisingly their plate cost per person for this wedding is about $60 each!? They do have a problem here though. They are somehow going to move 150 people from the main room, to the upstairs (3 floors up) and back down in an hour after cocktails.

Oh and JohnD, I have about 150 of magnets similar to those (I think their load rating is 30lbs) with a ring instead of hook. They work awesome in most places with drop ceilings, and tents with steel. They make the work way too easy with these silly paper lanterns. The hard part is removing them from 15ft using a pole because of their strength.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back