Conventional Fixtures S4 beam spread table

Last edited:
Here is a sheet I wrote up in excel a couple years back. ...
From the Calculations tab:
Multiplying Factor = (Degrees) x (.018)
Rather than
Beam diameter = distance * (2 * tan (beam angle in degrees / 2))
Somewhere on here I've written questioning what I call the "0.018 constant", both its original source and veracity.

Here's a similar spreadsheet:
http://www.derekleffew.com/Conv_Photometrics_v7.xls.zip?attredirects=0

The 0.018 is a rounding of the conversion of degrees to radians.

As we all know, a radian is the angle formed by an arc whose length is the same as the radius. Since the circumference of a circle is 2 pi times the radius, a semicircle is pi radians.

Since the angle of a semicircle also equals 180 degrees, 1 degree is equal to pi/180 radians.

pi/180 is approximately equal to 0.018

QED :)

As we all know, a radian is the angle formed by an arc whose length is the same as the radius. Since the circumference of a circle is 2 pi times the radius, a semicircle is pi radians.

Yeah... Everybody knows that... ;-)

Thinking I probably shoulda listened better in geometry class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The beam spread table uses a constant for any given beam angle [Beam Spread = 2 x Throw Distance x cos(φ/2)]. The dimension units show up on both sides of the equation so they divide (cancel) out. You use the same table for feet; just replace all references to meters with feet and it works. If your throw is outside the range of the table, use half the distance and multiply the spread by 2. It's more interesting to set up a spreadsheet for beams that are not normal (perpendicular) to the surface.

pi/180 is approximately equal to 0.018

[not] QED :)
No matter how many digits I use for pi, I always come up with 0.017, following the 5/4 rounding rule. Am I missing something?

But of course........

:stumped:

Haha.

Thank you so much guys, this has helped a lot. I wish that ETC thing was in like an smartphone app.

I welcome more explanation on the math of the subject though. I am learning i think, though, i never thought i would see cos ever again. Had to look it up. :p

"φ" [phi] is a random Greek character I use to designate the an angle. In this case, the beam angle. I should know better than to not define all variables in an equation.

Last edited:
"φ" [phi] is a random Greek character I use to designate the an angle. In this case, the beam angle. I should know better than to not define all variables in an equation.

No its alright. I got it. :)

Looks like I made another rooky mistake. The equation should be:

Beam Spread = 2 x Throw Distance x tan(φ/2)

You'll see the results look more like the ETC Beam Spread Table now. I don't get much chance to do any trig in my current job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back