Serious Volume Issues

Rosie

When I made my most recent move, I ended up running a facility with a lot of issues. I've been chipping away at them as best as I can but I have not been able to work out our intercom issues.

We've got wired Telex with wireless HME. The HME are basically useless since you cannot hear well enough between the two systems - wired hears wired just fine, wireless hears wireless, but the volume is much too low between the two systems. This means that if I'm backstage on wireless, my crew at wired console locations can barely hear me and I can barely hear them. Not a great situation.

Any thoughts on a remedy for this? I thought that buying the interface that makes the balanced to unbalanced lines play nicely would help, but it sure hasn't...

Which HME model do you have? at the end of the day you'll be doing the same thing but the HME 800 for example has all analog switches and the HME Pro-850 has an entirely digital setup that has frustrating menus.

I have never interfaced RTS gear into HME but I use clearcom with wireless HME and telex all the time, and I haven't had to use a 3rd party box - but I could see the RTS/clearcom input disparity being an issue if things aren't set right.

Thank you Muzicman, but I've done that as per the manual. It didn't make a difference in volume. Is there any way to boost it? My crew and I have such a hard time hearing between the two systems.

Without physically getting hands on the setup I would suggest adjusting the two knobs under the IC marking on the base station. This will change master Send/Receive volume. If this works, this may mean going and changing sidetone manually on all RF Icom to make sure volume is consistent across wired/wireless and users don't perceive an issue because they hear themselves too hot in their ears.

Just a thought, the US2000A is just a user station and does not provide power to any of your other wired stations. While daisy chaining the HME Transceiver into the user station should in theory bridge the two partylines, I'm curious if it's that connection that may be part of the issue. Could you try connecting the HME unit directly to your power supply, with your CCB-1 inline? I'm not familiar with the HME unit, but I do have some experience with the US-2002 which I believe is the more recent incarnation. I have it interfaced into a wired Clearcom partyline for our stage manager and it will occasionally act up.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

Just a thought, the US2000A is just a user station and does not provide power to any of your other wired stations. While daisy chaining the HME Transceiver into the user station should in theory bridge the two partylines, I'm curious if it's that connection that may be part of the issue. Could you try connecting the HME unit directly to your power supply, with your CCB-1 inline? I'm not familiar with the HME unit, but I do have some experience with the US-2002 which I believe is the more recent incarnation. I have it interfaced into a wired Clearcom partyline for our stage manager and it will occasionally act up.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

Thank you, Alex! I will give that a try. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back