Sky drop replacement material

Hi folks - I searched the archives and found some references, but I'd like to get more recent opinions. I'm looking to replace our sky drop (flat cyc). It is primarily used upstage with color washes and such (currently incandescent sources, moving to LED sources this year or next). However, I'm also anticipating gaining a projection system (mac pro running QLab) and anticipate moving the drop around and using it as a front and rear projection surface. I need it to be seamless, IFR, unsure of exact dimensions (45' wide x 30' tall is my guess with a 40'x20' proscenium opening, but I'll check the tag on the existing drop before getting quotes).

Any suggestions for materials and vendors? This is end-of-year scrubbing-the-budget funds, so I have a pretty limited time frame to research and get the paperwork done, and then need to receive the drop before Aug 31.

Thanks everyone!

Kevin (at Blinn) Patrick

Well, yes to the Gerriets answer. The Rosebrand suggestion does not make sense since trevira is a polyester fibre or yarn, not a particular woven product, and is used in a lot of different fabrics from scrims and silk imitations to velour. Trevira is an inherently flame retardant fibre and can be woven or made into a number of fabrics. They probably mean their scrim or muslin made from that fabric, but don't know for sure. At least that's how I understand it and open to being corrected.

PS - In addition to Gerriets Opera we accept Rosco Screen Twin White as equal.

Thanks, Bill! What is the process for moving a drop made of these materials? I'm looking at 22'x44'. Does it need to be rolled, can it be folded? Should I get ties on the side too for tensioning?

Well, yes to the Gerriets answer. The Rosebrand suggestion does not make sense since trevira is a polyester fibre or yarn, not a particular woven product, and is used in a lot of different fabrics from scrims and silk imitations to velour. Trevira is an inherently flame retardant fibre and can be woven or made into a number of fabrics. They probably mean their scrim or muslin made from that fabric, but don't know for sure. At least that's how I understand it and open to being corrected.

PS - In addition to Gerriets Opera we accept Rosco Screen Twin White as equal.

You were right Bill, it is a Trevira Muslin drop. I'm going to have to order these without ever seeing them. I've worked with the Rosebrand screen material before. It's heavy at 16x22', I can only imagine how heavy 22'x44' is going to be! What is your opinion on the Trevira muslin as a front / rear projection surface as well as a cyc?

I don't see side ties used but do spec grommets on the side. Needs a 1" schd 40 pipe in pocket. They are folded, but honestly I don't see them taken down much. We're I in charge I would probably trip or West coast to store on the batten if I needed to.

I don't have hands on experience with trevira muslin but haven't found muslin other than passable for rp. YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back