Software querries

killjoke

Hey guys,
Is there any software or app which lets you control your stage light using your computer or tablet ? Just like you can plug all your light into a board and then connect it to a pc and control it from there ??

Assuming the lights are controlled via DMX, there are lots of software options for controling lights - and many price points. The computer will need to output DMX which is usually accomplished using a node on a network or a USB dongle. Be aware that cheap hardware may not be reliable.

The cheapest option is probably MagicQ (free) from ChamSys using their MagicDMX Basic dongle (~$16 - one universe, must be reset every 5 hours). ChamSys also makes some leading high end solutions - MagicDMX is intended to demo their software before purchase of their professional hardware.

QLC+ seems to be the leading software from the open source world. It works with a wide variety of hardware (but not MagicDMX).

I'm waiting for the lighting equivalent of a sound board where you can de-dock your iPad and walk around the room controlling the lights. Wouldn't it be great to stand onstage during focus and have that access! I know there are some $$$ ways of doing this but haven't seen something mass marketed. (Or at least to the best of my knowledge.) Would think such a product would be rather popular.
(Although I did see this - https://synthe-fx.com/products/luminair ) Only one universe.

I don't see a reason for anyone to develop a relatively low cost lighting console with iPad control instead of solutions like Luminair that don't require a console at all. A decent wifi connection should be sufficent to send sACN directly from the tablet to control even a fairly large lighting rig (1 mb/s should carry 4 full universes at maximum transmit rate - 802.11g theoretically can provide 54 mb/s). At the high end, an app that make a tablet an auxiliary touchscreen when docked to the console, but switches it to a remote control over wifi as soon it is removed from the dock sounds like and interesting possibility. A key difference is that the low end users may be willing to tolerate the risk of primary control over wifi for convienience and cost savings, whereas high end users would require the reliabilty of a wired primary control.

I use Chamsys Magic Q PC, an Enttec USB DMX Pro, and my iPad for this. I did a lot of reading about touch screens and how much faster they can make programming go. A touchscreen was out of my price range though so I utilized my iPad and an app called splashtop. It just streams your laptop to your apple/android device and gives you touchscreen control and a keyboard. I will warn you that I do get dropouts at times so I only utilize this for programming. I would never run a show this way.

Hey guys,
Is there any software or app which lets you control your stage light using your computer or tablet ? Just like you can plug all your light into a board and then connect it to a pc and control it from there ??

Martin Light Jockey II, iPad and and app called iTeleport.

LJII can be run on a low-end PC/Laptop.

iTeleport is the app recommended by AVID for remote control of the VENUE Console, it is expensive as far as iOS apps go ($15 - $30) but worth every penny.

You enable Remote Desktop Connection on the PC running LJII and then connect to it via WiFi form the iPad. Works great.

Of course, you will have to spend the $1400 on LJII...but I do not see any reason that iTeleport would not enable you to remove in to any of the open source products mentioned above.

Several theaters, including ours, are using my company's software (disclaimer) - Cue Player Lighting. You do not need a dimmer board, just an Enttec or DMX King USB to DMX adaptor. We run 305 channels, mostly regular, but also 10 LED fixtures. The program can do 1024 channels with the right adaptor. The program is cue by cue based and probably not good if you're doing a lot of busking. It's a Windows program. There is a 30 day free trial if you want to check it out.

On the low/cheap end there's ADJ's MyDMX & MyDMX Buddy though they seem overpriced for what they provide and relative to other options, namely MagicQ. Related to these is DMXSoft's SUSHI which for $39 will get you going with older versions of their software. One advantage of these is that I believe they'll allow you to store a show in the dongle and run manually or automated without a PC attached which I don't believe MagicQ will allow.

I'm waiting for the lighting equivalent of a sound board where you can de-dock your iPad and walk around the room controlling the lights. Wouldn't it be great to stand onstage during focus and have that access! I know there are some $$$ ways of doing this but haven't seen something mass marketed. (Or at least to the best of my knowledge.) Would think such a product would be rather popular.
(Although I did see this - https://synthe-fx.com/products/luminair ) Only one universe.

Using the Grand MA app will let you do this. I haven't used it in several years but when I didn't have anyone to set at the board for a conventional focus it saved the day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back