Solo Shot. Next step, modify it to run a follow spot?

There are existing tracking systems involving several stationary devices set up arround the stage and a device worn by the performer - these require significant configuration and are expensive.

Soloshot sounds like interesting tech requiring just one stationary device and a device worn by the performer; and based on the target market, configuration is probably fairly easy. However, the FAQ says that it does not work indoors due to some of the technologies involved. My guess is that technology limiting to outdoor use is likely RF direction finding and/or GPS tracking; but that's just speculation. It sounds to me like getting this working indoors would be an important techological hurdle to overcome before adapting for entertainment lighting would be feasable.

There are existing tracking systems involving several stationary devices set up arround the stage and a device worn by the performer - these require significant configuration and are expensive.

Soloshot sounds like interesting tech requiring just one stationary device and a device worn by the performer; and based on the target market, configuration is probably fairly easy. However, the FAQ says that it does not work indoors due to some of the technologies involved. My guess is that technology limiting to outdoor use is likely RF direction finding and/or GPS tracking; but that's just speculation. It sounds to me like getting this working indoors would be an important techological hurdle to overcome before adapting for entertainment lighting would be feasable.

I wouldn't think GPS would be accurate or fast enough for something like this.

I wouldn't think GPS would be accurate or fast enough for something like this.
Good point about the speed. GPS acuracy can be enhanced (I'm not certain how much) by augmenting the system with a fixed station in the vicinity (and the FAQ says the base must not move).

Looks like it has a 5 pound weight limit. No way a source 4 would sit up there.
If the tracking technology were adaptable, engineering tradeoffs between weight, speed, precision, and cost could be made. I think the most likely way this tracking technology would enter entertainment lighting is integrated into a moving head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back