Source four mini led, dim able?

TheTheaterGeek

EOS Addict
Premium Member
Fight Leukemia
I can't seem to find in the documentation whether I can shoot dimmed power to one of these puppies.

Indeed it is dimmable on forward or reverse phase dimmers. The info is buried deep on page two of the datasheet. They dim quite nice, actually.

Thanks,

David

Indeed it is dimmable on forward or reverse phase dimmers. The info is buried deep on page two of the datasheet. They dim quite nice, actually.

Thanks,

David

Thanks David!

Still cant find it on there haha, But now I know none the less.

If i am just dimming one(ETC generously gave me one for my Birthday at Cue.) DO you have a suggestion on how to smooth the curve?

If i am just dimming one(ETC generously gave me one for my Birthday at Cue.) DO you have a suggestion on how to smooth the curve?

I would imagine that you would need a dummy load of some kind on the same circuit. Something like a 100w light bulb is what I usually see recommended. You could also try an LED dummy, most of the DJ lighting companies sell them, it's probably all the same part with a different sticker.
http://www.elationlighting.com/Prod...ber=1718&MainId=0&Category=dimmers and relays

Which specific version and model # are you using as a start for how?

Just had to make a 48 way Soco feed thru dummy load for using around 80 of the LED Leko's on a show. The dual 24 channel 4-rack space panels were installed into a custom case about the size of a 48way dimmer rack with 360 cfm of air movement from fans and venting. Took a really old dimmer rack and had to completely re-make it from moldy shock mounting foam to blacking it out inside and heat treading. Rack was a huge popular attraction on-site for coolness factor - having to make it brought a smile to my face also. Here we have high technology Leko's needing something out of say the 20's for making it work properly on a dimmer. Believe the standard dimmers worked better with the dummy load than the LED dimmers but wasn't much part of that part of the project. Was busy with my part and other stuff. One to two lights per circuit on both dimmer types were not getting a good dimming curve.

Specified dummy load is 60w lamps - 2,880 watts of light inside of a road case got the dummy load case a bit hot to the touch but after hours and hours of use, was measured to be within the tolerances of heat ratings of it's components. Later tested the fixtures with 25w dummy load and worked fine with them which made the rack operate just fine in cooling without having to add the second fan panel to double airflow. Could be the amount of fixtures on the dimmer rack allowed for the lower wattage overall in controlling them.

The Electronic's dpt. at work said they could come up with a resistor based dummy load system for the show instead of me having to make the filament lamp based dummy load system. Problem was we had less than a week and it was more efficient for me alone to work until late hours of the night for a few days than a few of us to work many more late hours by way of them making parts I would have to wire. Had there been more time such a dummy load while it probably will have still been two sets of four space rack panels as needed for fitting the Soco plugs, will not have needed an entire rack to cool it.

In the case of one fixture I'm sure some of our electronics based people on the forum can figure out what size of resistor and other components might be added to the fixture in-line, in making it work properly and where to add it if possible. This as long as safe and done in a way it don't void warranty or UL. Probably be as small in handy box as a small in-line transformer. Interesting that if only a dummy load, is needed, that this was not pre-designed into the fixture unless it's inclusion would defete some output for the fixture if included. At that point I wonder why it's not an accessory one can buy for dimming one light?

Last edited:
Thanks for the story. That would be a pretty cool thing to see.

I have ordered one of the elation dummy loads.

When I get it and have a chance to test it out I will post my results.

In the meantime I will be trying a lamp load.

Hi all. New here, but need info on just this subject. I'm building a *tiny* video studio and want to use the ETC Source Four Mini LEDs as the primary fixture. I have seen them in use with the Elation/ADJ LED Dummy plugs coming off an ETC dimmer pack, and seeming to work well. However, that installation is infrequently used. Anyone have any dimmer pack solutions they might recommend for this type of application?

Thanks in advance -

Further research on CB onto the subject should be done on your part.

The concept of dummy load for lamps is an obsolete concept not dependable.. even if I just made two more 48 way versions of them. Resistors with heat sinks in electronically helping the lamp a better way to go - but in last thinking of doing it, heated up a lot more than I had time to research and figure out in how to make. I had over 100 fixtures to light and didn't have time to more than further R&D the filament lamp resistor concept.

On the other hand, I just this week made a dual channel Lutron LUT-LBX rack mount panel as recommended on CB. Have not tried it yet with Sensor racks but the concept is while expensive in one panel per channel, might work say for a stringer of LED Bulbs (as it were.) More economic as a concept not playtested yet is a archeticural style LED/CFL rated dimmer. Made a few for immediate use, If such a thing at full output could be a go between for a Sensor doing the dimming?

As to the Elation loading, given a few away to try, but have not heard word yet on results. Given the specifications on what it is and does, I have my doubts... but let me know in perhaps being great for this purpose. If you have seen such Elation adaptors in use, please let us know more. I have budget but limited time to play test. Been sitting on a box of them for months now without time to see how they might work or not.

Overall opinion of the S-4 micro LED and filament version... , better than the Altman Micro Ellipse, at least in some ways, but overall a first generation concept lighting fixture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back