Source Four Searchlights

Rornce

Hey everyone!
I'm right in the middle of planning our high school's fall production of the Skin of Our Teeth, and I'm looking for some advise for an effect I'm doing. During the second act our director is picturing a sort of massive political convention or party in Atlantic City. We're renting haze, so one of the main effects I'm doing is to have searchlight beams scanning the skies. We just came into possession of two Elipscans (we had one before), so my plan is to mount them to 19 degree S4's as shin-busters on the trees just off stage right and left and have them shine the light up. What I'm hoping someone here will be able to help me with, is how I can make the beams tighter. Would a gobo like the Rosco 77726 work? Or just make it too dim?

The effect looks alright with just the source fours, but I figured you guys might have some experience with this kind of effect.
Thanks in advance!

A pinspot gobo (I believe the one you have listed is, not sure) will work, but the better option would be an iris. They can be had for ~90$, and they fit into the accessory slot. Also, color wise, you may want to look into a CTB, which will give the "brighter white look. Perhaps a L200 or L201. YMMV

I'll second the iris's if you can afford them. They'll give you a lot more versatility, let you set the beam to exactly the size you want it, and then you'll have them around to use for specials in the future. If the budget is tight you can just take a piece of sheet metal and cut/drill a hole in it. If you have a metal shop at your school I'm sure the metal shop teacher could knock them out in no time at all.

High Schools still have metal shop teachers? Really?

My old high school still does. There has actually been a big push for stuff like that recently in my area. Helping kids that aren't going to go to college develop skills that will help them when they join the workforce. They have a lot of different programs to help kids gear the education to the career track of their choice.

If I were to do this effect from scratch and on a budget, I'd just use a few of these par 36 pinspots on oscillating bases:

Of course, given a larger budget and these would become Clay Paky Sharpies. The 19° Source Fours will work, but the beam will always be more cone-shaped rather than parallel, and you will lose some brightness due to the iris or gobo. You might want to try to put some haze behind the effect if that is feasible.

I would want Beam Projectors, as they really are just mini search lights. Since those can be hard to come by these days, Very Narrow Spot PAR cans could work.

Classic search lights, beam projectors and PAR cans all have parabolic reflectors.

Glad you got the ok to use haze, OP. That is key.

I also have to add this. Don't underestimate the power of follow spots doing a few ballyhoos through the house at certain moments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

If budget is tight, consider renting the irises. We do this at my church for our Christmas production.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back