1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Space between scenery for actors.

Discussion in 'Scenery, Props, and Rigging' started by SeanR, Jul 28, 2011.

1. SeanR

SeanR New Member

I'm sure this will be one of those "Well of course" moments but I'm hoping someone can point me towards some standards for space needed between scenery for actors to get through. For example:

[​IMG]
  2. DuckJordan

DuckJordan Well-Known Member

I always try to keep at least 3 1/2' for hard walls and 4 1/2' for curtains and soft walls.
  3. derekleffew

derekleffew Senior Team Senior Team Premium Member

From Building Code Guide to Stairways, Railings, Landing Construction & Stair Safety Inspections :
    While stage scenery need not necessarily meet IBC or other building codes*, it's probably prudent to attempt to comply whenever possible. If actors are represented by AEA, they may have an opinion or jurisdiction on the matter as well.

*From a recent post to the SML:
    Bolding mine.
  4. videoman1986

videoman1986 New Member

I've built sets with as little as 30" for walkways. It was for a student run college organization so all of the "real world" rules weren't always followed. I believe that ADA is 36" for wheelchairs so that is what was always maintained in the audience areas.
  5. Footer

Footer Senior Team Senior Team Premium Member

30" is just fine, 36" gives you some wiggle room. 24" is pushing it.
  6. TheatrePros

TheatrePros Member

in Chicagoland we need 42" for egress and i have that to be a good rule of thumb, check with the fire marshall, as a just in case
  7. Footer

Footer Senior Team Senior Team Premium Member

Thats for any place the audience is which does not apply for onstage scenery in most jurisdictions unless the audience is onstage.
  8. Van

Van CBMod CB Mods Premium Member

as an FYI Actors Equity requires 3'6" for any area deemed a 'Cross-over'. So, if the space between the stairs and the wall was to be the designated path through which an actor had to pass to get from one side of the stage to the other to make an entrance and you were in an Equity house, the minimum distance would be 3'6".