Spanish translations of tech terms

Patzmcc

I am working with a company from Puerto Rico and need some tech terms translated. My Spanish is good however I never learned much theater specific vocabulary does someone know the Spanish colloquialisms for the following?

Repertory theater
Light Plot
Special (as in lighting fixture)
Gel/color

also they have asked for torres para calles, I believe this would be referring to side booms? is that correct? Tnank you!

Here's some found terms found via yahoo:
función= (n)performance
vestíbulo= vestibule
director= director
escenario= stage
telón= curtain/drop
camerino= dressing room
obra/producción= production
utilería= props
vestuario= costumes
pasadizo/pasarela= catwalk
escotillón= trap
bambalinas/bastidores= wings
tarima= platform
ensayo= rehearsal
butacas= [theater] seats
taquilla= ticket stand
cuerda= ropa
luces= lights
controles= controls (lights, mechanics, etc.)
sonido= sound
micrófono= microphone
escalera= stairway (escalón= step)
reparto de actores= cast [of actors]

I'd suggest investing in the book (or Android app) TheatreWords.

Torres para calles translates to "towers for the street". If they were referring to towers of sidelight in alleys onstage, that may make sense, but I think thats a little bit of loose definition.

Hi everyone! I know this is quite an old topic, but anyway, the terms you're asking are OK, and yes, "torres para calles" are the side booms. The thing is that I'm just on the opposite side. We're a Spanish company, and want to translate the technical rider to English, and I'm not sure how is it called the process of hanging the lighting equipment, focusing, checking the desk, setting up the scenography... I found "To fit up", but is there any difference between American English and British English... Any help is welcome.

Thanks!

I would agree with load-in. "Fit up" is definitely more British sounding.

Hi everyone! I know this is quite an old topic, but anyway, the terms you're asking are OK, and yes, "torres para calles" are the side booms. The thing is that I'm just on the opposite side. We're a Spanish company, and want to translate the technical rider to English, and I'm not sure how is it called the process of hanging the lighting equipment, focusing, checking the desk, setting up the scenography... I found "To fit up", but is there any difference between American English and British English... Any help is welcome.

Thanks!

British or US? You would be amazed how different stage slang is in the US vs the UK.

There is a book/app from OISTAT called "Theatre Words" that has translations for theatre terminology in like 20+ languages, I think. I purchased a version of the app but haven't played with it much. However, it is recommended in "The Assistant Lighting Designer's Toolkit" so I feel like it must be pretty decent.... From what I could tell, the Korean translations seemed pretty valid.

[but is there any difference between American English and British English... Any help is welcome.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

A brit and a Yank were having a friendly argument about cars.
The Yank said
“It’s a WINDSHIELD not a WINDSCREEN. It is our invention you know.”
The brit said
“Yes, it’s your invention but it’s our language.”

An American fan walked up to a British actor.
She said
“I love your accent”
The actor said
I don’t have an accent; this is the way the words are supposed to sound like.

8}

Last edited:
[but is there any difference between American English and British English... Any help is welcome.

Thanks!

A brit and a Yank were having a friendly argument about cars.
The Yank said
“It’s a WINDSHIELD not a WINDSCREEN. It is our invention you know.”
The brit said
“Yes, it’s your invention but it’s our language.”

An American fan walked up to a British actor.
She said
“I love your accent”
The actor said
I don’t have an accent; this is the way the words are supposed to sound like.

8}[/QUOTE]
I meant if there was any difference between AE and BE in "To fit up"

Thank you all! ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back