Stage leveling

David Hyde

Hello everyone.

I am in the process of re-decking a stage (I read the other threads on it), but here is my current issue.

I am in a building that is over 100 years old, so there has been some settling. The stage is built of 4x8 platforms made of 2x8s all bolted together. On average it sits 26 inches off the floor. I am unable to re-leg the entire stage. I have a few dips in the floor, most noticeable center stage. Stage left and stage right are 26 inches off the floor, DSC drops to 24.5, and center drops to 23 inches. What is the best way about leveling out these bumps and drops. I have spent 2 days under the stage with shims and blocks, but when I get a couple legs touching the floor at the correct height other legs I had fixed are now off the shims. Any help and suggestions would be great.

Would it be possible for you to replace some legs rather than installing shims under them? That way there are no moving pieces and the legs will reach you up to the 26" off the floor.

Image of the clown act with a chair that is not level and a saw - 10 minutes late each leg has been trimmed an inch at a time and there are no legs.

Given the conditions you describe, I think shims are the answer. Get a laser level. Pull out all shims. Find highest spot with laser level, and then with someone above, go intersection to intersection and shim each to level with laser level galling it out. You can do it with a map and recording each intersection and then you don'r need someone on top but probably will go though the process twice.

I am replacing some legs. Just unable to replace all right now. I am recommending they replace 4 or 5 every show

Users who are viewing this thread

Back