Suspending TV & Threaded Rod/Pipe Battens

Bubby4j

First off, this is a 2D drawing of what I have to work with regarding the beams. The orange things are the beams.
There is a drop ceiling about 8' below this real ceiling.

There is some space (maybe an inch) between the beams and the ceiling as there are wooden spacers between the beams and ceiling, so something could potentially go all the way around the beam if it's slim enough.

Student Center Beams.png

Anyway, I need to hang 2 things for a couple separate projects.
First off is a TV. I need to hang it a couple feet below the drop ceiling, so a total of around 10'-12'.
I'm having trouble finding hardware specifically for this. Any suggestions? Not a good idea?

The other is a couple dead-hung pipe battens. I'm planning on using threaded rod to suspend the pipes, but I'm unsure how to hang the threaded rod from the ceiling beams here. Because these aren't normal I-beams I can't just use an easy to find I-beam clamp. Suggestions for this? In the event of needing to hang one of the rods between the beams I was thinking that some type of unistrut could be attached and then the rod hung from the unistrut. It'll be weird to overcome the 23 degree angle of the beams though.

So, I'm looking for hardware suggestions to attach a threaded rod, and suggestions on how to hang a TV.

For the TV I'd imaging that hanging with cable would be easiest, and that using a vertically hung pipe would be tricky since I need to drop down so far from the ceiling. I can't find any VESA mounts designed for overhead hanging use though.

Appreciate any input anyone may have!

I think there are enough questions and variables here to advise you to seek out a contractor or certified rigger. I say this because of the angle of the beams, you're not going to have a simple load on everything. You want someone to consider all the forces involved on the hardware that is going to be used. I'm assuming this all would be for a permanent install?

I think there are enough questions and variables here to advise you to seek out a contractor or certified rigger. I say this because of the angle of the beams, you're not going to have a simple load on everything. You want someone to consider all the forces involved on the hardware that is going to be used. I'm assuming this all would be for a permanent install?
Correct.

Here is a mount rated for 300lbs that will support a variety of angles.
https://www.firefold.com/cav1

I have used other mounts from this company and am very pleased with the quality. Please be careful that you use hardware capable of supporting this load as well. My comments are only suggestions and may only be used at your own risk.

Good Luck!
Adam

I would agree to checking with a structural engineer. It looks like you're trying to attach to purlins. I belive those are not for heavy point loads. They also carry roof and snow loads.

This is not something to guess at.

Is this a modern building? Old buildings were over designed by today's standards but it made it easy to modify and add. This looms almost like a pre-engineered metal building system, which are designed to within a nickle of their life, with every ounce of steel left out if possible. Your loads are probably not so large that you can't do it, but it does need some expertise.

Is this a modern building? Old buildings were over designed by today's standards but it made it easy to modify and add. This looms almost like a pre-engineered metal building system, which are designed to within a nickle of their life, with every ounce of steel left out if possible. Your loads are probably not so large that you can't do it, but it does need some expertise.
Good call, better safe than sorry. It was built around 2000 give or take a couple years. Thanks for the input everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back