Table saw choices

JLNorthGA

I am not sure where to put this thread - but I figured scenery, props and rigging was the best place.

We've been limping along on an old Delta contractors saw that someone donated. It really was used by a contractor :) - but then it sat in his barn for a while. The tilt mechanism doesn't work and neither does the height adjustment. All you can say for it is that it has a fence and a table.

We have been donated the funds for a new saw:dance:. Not much (only $900) - but a lot more than we ever have had for tools and tool budget. It has been a while since I've looked at saws - but I do know something about them - the saw in my home shop is a 5 hp cabinet saw.

Anyway - I can get a contractors saw (new) from Home Depot (Ridgid 4512), Sears (Ridgid clone) or Woodcraft (Steel City 35990 CS). I have read the reviews - the Ridgid has alignment problems so you have to check the alignment as soon as possible and the fence isn't the greatest. The Steel City has a 2 part fence rail as opposed to a single fence rail which means there is some flex - I just have to make sure that the crew doesn't move it by the rails (that's why they have mobile bases).

Or - I can get a hybrid saw. Grizzly makes the G0715P. This is a heavy duty hybrid. It has a lot sturdier fence, beefier motor, etc., etc. It is a heavier, more robust saw. The only drawback is that it draws 16 amps at 110V. So ideally I would go for 220V circuit. It is at the limit of the price range ($894 w/ shipping). So if I do go for this saw, I would put in a 220V circuit.

My crew consists of mostly amateurs and we are all volunteers. Some of us have a lot of experience w/ table saws and others not so much.

I have polled a number of the crew - and some have said to get the contractors saw. Use the rest of the money for other stuff. After all mostly we rip plywood and the occasional 2 x. Some of the crew (including one who donated more than 1/2 of the money for a new saw) say to get the hybrid. My preference is for the hybrid - but I am "spoiled" by my cabinet saw. I can understand those who say - just get what is needed.

What are your opinions? Should I go for the hybrid? Should I go for a contractors saw? Either way, it would be better than the Delta.

I would also troll Craigslist and see if you can get a used cabinet saw. We all know these things don't wear out... and x-wives like to get rid of them. Otherwise, buy the better saw and be done with it. Our shop downstairs has a powermatic from 1968 that is still going strong. Buy once, cry once.

This is probably not a hugely helpful answer, but something to think about. I work in a smaller shop, and I'm lucky to have a panel saw, which takes care of a lot of ripping needs. I'd suggest taking a look at some of the circular saw track systems on the market- if you are mostly ripping plywood those might fill a lot of your needs. And depending on the size of your shop, a tablesaw you can wheel around and move out of the way when not in use might be valuable. I built a rolling cabinet for my contractors Delta table saw that's been very handy for clearing shop space.

The way I figure with a circular saw track system, you only need 4X8 feet of space to make a rip. With a tablesaw and sheet goods, you need 4X16 feet of space, and you spend a lot of energy pushing the sheet. And the accuracy on the track systems is really good. But bevel cuts are harder to make accurately, depending on which track setup you get, so if that's common in your space this might not work for you.

I would also troll Craigslist and see if you can get a used cabinet saw. We all know these things don't wear out... and x-wives like to get rid of them. Otherwise, buy the better saw and be done with it. Our shop downstairs has a powermatic from 1968 that is still going strong. Buy once, cry once.

Agreed on all accounts. Craigslist can be your friend, and I would suggest taking a friend just as a safety precaution and also to help you load the bugger!

Buying quality is almost always the best investment, so spend wisely-

Looked at Craigslist (Atlanta) - just a Grizzly 1023 going for far too much money and a lot of contractors saws in various states of disrepair. I think the Grizzly hybrid is the way to go.

In many states, public entities have to sell surplus items at auction, see if your state is that way and keep an eye on schools and especially vo-tech schools. Many bargains can be found that way.
I would have to think that since you have a crew member who is both a worker bee AND a honey bee (ie donating a sizable chunk of change to the purchase) that the opinion of that person should be a major factor in the matter.

We're happy with our Dewalt DW746 table saw. Unfortunately, it looks like they are discontinued.

A table saw is the most dangerous tool in any shop. Just ask all the professionals with short fingers. Is should be solid, have a good fence, and you must clean and oil the adjustment devices regularly. We have done just fine with a Rigid table saw (10+ years, 9 shows a year) mounted on a simple rolling stand (Zoro). However, I find that many of us (all volunteers) prefer panel cutting with a straight edge guide and a hand circular saw instead of the table saw. No other way to rip. For our theater I would not spend 900$ for a table saw. The Rigid 10" Contractor Pro at $550 would be fine, and it has wheels.
The best tools we have are an 8.5" DeWalt sliding chopper (no need for a 10 or 12") and our pneumatic tools.

I also would consider a circular saw track system in the future.

I know you have a budget but what Footer is saying is very true especially for table saws... Back in high school we had a Delta table saw with a large fence system nice quality probably around 10-15 years old, many other tools came and went but the only thing it needed was occasional normal maintenance, hands down one of the best table saws I have worked with... Then came senior year and we picked up a panel saw, can't even begin to list all of the awesome reasons to get one if you can, ease of use and safety were great, and that old table saw barely ever got used after that. I would still go with a good quality table saw first though, then in a few years when you don't have to buy another one you can buy something else like a panel saw, having both if you can is really great.

I have a rocky relationship with cheap contractor saws. The only time I've ever had a piece thrown at me was using one. The scar is a daily reminder to respect all power tools.

So that said, buy the best saw you can afford. One with a good, true fence and enough oomph to rip 2x stock when needed. Don't forget that a sharp blade makes a huge difference.

If I had the space, I'd be watching craigslist for a deal on a Delta cabinet saw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I have a rocky relationship with cheap contractor saws. The only time I've ever had a piece thrown at me was using one. The scar is a daily reminder to respect all power tools.

So that said, buy the best saw you can afford. One with a good, true fence and enough oomph to rip 2x stock when needed. Don't forget that a sharp blade makes a huge difference.

If I had the space, I'd be watching craigslist for a deal on a Delta cabinet saw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
If we get a contractors saw - it will most likely be the Steel City 35990CS.

If all you have is a hammer, then everything looks like a nail. Once you have a tablesaw, everything looks tablesaw job.
You can't rip 2 x 4s, etc. with circular saw with much safety. Even a track saw doesn't work well. We've taken to building a lot of our own molding - which requires a lot of ripping of 1 x and 2 x. A table saw is the safest answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back