To keep or not keep, that is the question(s)!

DC11

Hello to all. I am just now joining this site and wished I would've sooner. Looks like a truly great site!! Now to my question :)

I recently took over the position of Technical Director at a performance theater, where I used to do a week or 3, or a month or 2 every year for the last 5 years. Now that I'm in charge, I'm doing a lot of upgrading in as many areas as I can.

We went from an old Leprechaun to an ETC Element, and added 15 50-degree S4s (amongst 2-4 other types of lights). With those S4's added, I find that I no longer have a use for the Axial 6x9's and 6x12's that were the go-to for who knows how long. I've spoken to a handful of LD's and its unanimous that the S4's are preferred. We have 10 working 6x9's, 2 working 6x12's and 10-15 6x9's that can be built from the various piles in the storage closet (i.e. The Graveyard).

But I'm thinking I should just get rid of them all, and either add more S4's or any number of instruments we either need to upgrade, or just have in the first place.

Would you keep all of the Axials? Maybe just a few? What would you prefer instead of them, if not the S4's?

Thanks so much advanced and I'm looking forward to jumping in on some threads and learning/sharing as much as I can!!

Asking an LD if they prefer S4 is like asking a barber if you need a haircut ;).

If the fixtures are working, I'd keep them but probably choose not to invest in ongoing repairs with the understanding that the money instead goes towards new fixtures. Phase them out or cannibalize their parts as they die. It sounds like you don't have or need a huge inventory, but depending on your dimmer count and availability of hanging positions I would advise having them on stand by. As an LD, I welcome any spare instruments available - especially ellipsoidals and fresnels. I will use the Source Fours for the important stuff, but sometimes you don't need much more than a 360Q for that one odd special or effect - which will be helpful if the S4's are already in use elsewhere.

Altman axials (360Qs) are still employed all over the place (they're still in production, I believe). I don't think anyone would rather use one than a Source 4, but most designers would rather use one than use nothing. Which is to say, I wouldn't get rid of them unless and until your inventory is so full of S4s that there's no reason for the Altmans.

I'd keep all of the working fixtures axial or not, until you have a much more robust inventory of Source-4 fixtures. Adding 15 Source-4s is a great start, however only having 50-degree can be limiting to designers. Keep the x9 and x12s for now. Yeah they aren't as nice as the source 4s but they still work fine.

As they head towards the graveyard, that's when I typically lean towards scrapping. Keep key components for existing fixtures and get rid of the rest...

If there are grants available for getting rid of less efficient fixtures, take advantage of it (one theatre I work at has, getting a percentage of replacement cost of upgrading to source 4).

Noting wrong with the outdated Altman 360Q 6x9s, there are worse used in theaters all over.
You might be able to sell online as well, however don't expect to get very much at all in return.

Thanks for the info, guys. The space is 28'x46'x15', and with the fresnels and pars that are in the air, its rare I use more then 12 at a time (we have other S4s, its that we got 15 new ones :) ) unless that week's company is special-crazy.

If they were worth more, I'd just sell them. But I don't think I'd get enough to make it worth it. I'm dying to get another 6-8 par64s in the space, so thats where the minuscule $ from them would go. I'd maybe be able to get 1 Par from the sale of them, hahaha.

Like others here, I would keep the 360Qs in good condition. Do one last round of maintenance to clean lenses, reflector, loose rust/paint, straighten shutters and replace parts as needed from the graveyard, and then let them phase out as you acquire new fixtures and the 360Qs break down.

Another really big thing with a mixed inventory like this is lamp choice. If you are still burning old lamp technology (EHG/EHD/FLK) then try to find a good time to swap to GLC/GLA. You'll be much happier with the output, especially in terms of matching your S4s. GLC is the high output, high color temperature option (best match if you're using the regular HPL575 in your S4s) and GLA is the long life, lower color temp version to match with the HPL575X long life lamp.

Only point of contention with above thoughts. Can often get a PAR 64 with lamp for $25.00 and I would think a price for a 360Q expecially in the 6x9 range is worth at least $40.00 each if not often triple that in resale value.

Seems modest needs you have in fixture needs on request and fairly sustaining budget. You appairently don't have problems with designers in asking "My Kindom for another Leko!" Given this and I'm sure other theaters in your area that are less well equipped... if you don't really need the lights, perhaps donate them to someone else. Let others make art with your wealth of gear in holding a few in reserve just in case. Might even be able to trade some PAR 64 for Leko's in solving both problems assuming some places might just have them and want better.

Would take some leg work on your part as the TD' but also open up lots of possibilityies in saving money to ask and develop a network. Leg work in say trading some 360Q's for PAR 64's to other theaters' and more important even if not at first done or able... contacts with other theaters, and by the way what is your lighting and scenery inventory? Here is mine as an excel attachment. Need a beam projector someday or say one more Inkie, etc... you have good contacts to start communications in trading for. I need some prop bushes... as TD, can either make them or who in this network has some in inventory? I have a marble stair case, want to rent it in not having to build? Do you have the complete inventory of every theater in your area, do they have yours?

As a TD in my own small store front theater during the mid 90's we didn't have a good budget but I did by the time we put the theater to bed have a good network to get stuff. Had a network of not only scenery and lights I was working on for all other area companies but also favors in labor to pull from. If no money to rent or to the point of I'm in trouble and can use some help... other theaters helped me. All starts with communication and a network not just with friends but in knowing what everyone has and making art together. Who in your network can use some 6x9 360Q's? Got some PAR cans, or can give labor to pay etc. in concepts? One community.

You have the 360Q that, sorry I'm old and one of my mid-life cricus type things bought was just a simple 360Q 6x9. I did live as both designer and TD in the "My Kindom for another Leko" age before S-4 lights filtered down to us, and even a radial Leko was a Leko. Got a 6x9, bought it even without telling my wife type of thing. Others I am sure don't have money but have at least DJ cans they would love to trade for a 360Q. I know at least multitudes of dozens of Par 64's where I work went to scrap... no Altman Leko's went to there. I traded them off to needing places or for antiques.

Save the bone yard or give it's components away as per sustainable parts for those that get the lights. Now that Altman has discontinued the 360Q, finding parts will with time become difficult. I know I have some parts and have built what I have for donation or trade but at some point I ran out of parts. If you want I can give you a shipping account number to ship them to me and I will store and give parts or fixtures built away without any profit. But otherwise the same in these parts are needed and while you can waste time in trying to sell or scrap, will be more efficient in the end to just manage and give them away so as to keep up the esperit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back