Transparent cues

can someone explain transparent cues and the use of

Care to elaborate on what you mean by a transparent cue? Do you mean a cue that doesn't do anything or a cue that doesn't appear to do anything? Is it a type of cue on your console?

I think it is an LJ thing.

Mike

It could be. If it is, I'll give you the short version, but for the whole enchilada (which is what I'm planning for dinner) consult the help files.

In LJ, a basic look is called a scene. One or more scenes make up a sequence. A sequence is then loaded into a cue. The idea behind LJ is that you can have up to 12 sequences running simultaneously. Most of us who use LJ break down sequences into specific parts. For example:

1 Intensity
2. position/movement (for moving lights)
3. Color
4. Gobo
5 Effect

or by groups, such as
1. upstage lights
2. downstage
3. side fills
etc.

How you divide your rig is up to you. No right or wrong. But the basic idea is to always use the same slot # in the cue for the same type of sequence.

So let's say you had a sequence where all lights were at 100% saved in slot #1 in a transparent cue (cue 1)
Cue 2 has all a sequence in slot 3 where all lights are green (but no intensity is programmed into them)
Cue 3 has all lights strobing (but no color, etc.)

If you save all three as separate transparent cues, you can activate cue #1, which will give you all lights on.

Then you add cue #2, which will turn all the lights green.

Add in cue #3, all lights will strobe, but remain green.

Clear sequence slot #3, all lights continue to strobe, but go back to open (white)

That's the short version. If you read my ukslc posts referenced above, the explanation is much more detailed.

Why do it that way? Because when you build a cue, you can use the same sequences over and over. If you want gobo #4, color #3, intensity chase #6, etc., you just take each sequence and mix it together, instead of building each cue from scratch.

There's other ways to program. The thing is that LJ is like Hog, MA, etc., in that there's a lot of different routes to get to the same end. Which route you take depends on you.

It could be. If it is, I'll give you the short version, but for the whole enchilada (which is what I'm planning for dinner) consult the help files and/or Monthly Features - Ukslc.org

In LJ, a basic look is called a scene. One or more scenes make up a sequence. A sequence is then loaded into a cue. The idea behind LJ is that you can have up to 12 sequences running simultaneously. Most of us who use LJ break down sequences into specific parts. For example:

1 Intensity
2. position/movement (for moving lights)
3. Color
4. Gobo
5 Effect

or by groups, such as
1. upstage lights
2. downstage
3. side fills
etc.

How you divide your rig is up to you. No right or wrong. But the basic idea is to always use the same slot # in the cue for the same type of sequence.

So let's say you had a sequence where all lights were at 100% saved in slot [HASHTAG]#1[/HASHTAG] in a transparent cue (cue 1)
Cue 2 has all a sequence in slot 3 where all lights are green (but no intensity is programmed into them)
Cue 3 has all lights strobing (but no color, etc.)

If you save all three as separate transparent cues, you can activate cue [HASHTAG]#1[/HASHTAG], which will give you all lights on.

Then you add cue [HASHTAG]#2[/HASHTAG], which will turn all the lights green.

Add in cue [HASHTAG]#3[/HASHTAG], all lights will strobe, but remain green.

Clear sequence slot [HASHTAG]#3[/HASHTAG], all lights continue to strobe, but go back to open (white)

That's the short version. If you read my ukslc posts referenced above, the explanation is much more detailed.

Why do it that way? Because when you build a cue, you can use the same sequences over and over. If you want gobo [HASHTAG]#4[/HASHTAG], color [HASHTAG]#3[/HASHTAG], intensity chase [HASHTAG]#6[/HASHTAG], etc., you just take each sequence and mix it together, instead of building each cue from scratch.

There's other ways to program. The thing is that LJ is like Hog, MA, etc., in that there's a lot of different routes to get to the same end. Which route you take depends on you.

Hello, can you please help me. I am trying to do this on touch panel. So do you have tutorial for this, I need tutorial for only one fixture and the rest i will figure on my one. Here is my touch panel. I try to use static control, but there is not enough space. For wash I have created scenes by color and intesnsity. Now I need cues for moving heads (on right). Can you please help me.
test1(2).jpg

I want to turn on, for example: Wash blue 100%-- Qspot 260 white beam, bubble gobo, and prism-- TMH 60 yellow beam, gobo open, prism-- TMH 3 blue beam, gobo star-- MP150 yellow beam, gobo open. I hope that you understand what I want to accomplish.

For now, forget the LJ Manager. All that does is activate whatever cue, sequence, whatever.

Second, a static is best (IMO) used with things like turning on a conventional, and accessed via a fader board (again IMO). Don't use them for movers until you really know what you're doing.

Read my original response. Building sequences to your inventory is your first step. For example, make sequences for each gobo that the lights can do. Do the same for colors. One color, one sequence, etc. Now drag each sequence into the cue window onto a line/slot. Put each color sequence into the same cue line/slot and save each as a new TRANSPARENT cue. Do the same with gobos, and movements, and whatever else. But each different type of sequence goes on a different line.

Now, when you open a color cue then a gobo cue, they will both be active. Of course, you'll need a cue with intensity, etc., but that's the basic.

For now, forget the LJ Manager. All that does is activate whatever cue, sequence, whatever.

Second, a static is best (IMO) used with things like turning on a conventional, and accessed via a fader board (again IMO). Don't use them for movers until you really know what you're doing.

Read my original response. Building sequences to your inventory is your first step. For example, make sequences for each gobo that the lights can do. Do the same for colors. One color, one sequence, etc. Now drag each sequence into the cue window onto a line/slot. Put each color sequence into the same cue line/slot and save each as a new TRANSPARENT cue. Do the same with gobos, and movements, and whatever else. But each different type of sequence goes on a different line.

Now, when you open a color cue then a gobo cue, they will both be active. Of course, you'll need a cue with intensity, etc., but that's the basic.

Thank you for the answer. So, i done next:

1. Intensity 100%

2. Red color (but only color, intensity is 0%)
3. Blue color (but only color, intensity is 0%)
4. Green color (but only color, intensity is 0%)
5. Yellow color (but only color, intensity is 0%)
6. Purple color (but only color, intensity is 0%)

7. Gobo 1
8. Gobo 2
9. Gobo 3

Next I need to do is:

-drag Intensity to CUE WINDOW and save it with the same name

-drag blue color to CUE WINDOW and save it with the same name
-drag green color to CUE WINDOW and save it with the same name
-drag yellow color to CUE WINDOW and save it with the same name
-drag purple color to CUE WINDOW and save it with the same name

-drag gobo 1 to CUE WINDOW and save it with the same name
-drag gobo 2 to CUE WINDOW and save it with the same name
-drag gobo 3 to CUE WINDOW and save it with the same name

And what after that, if I want for example Intensity 100%, yellow color and gobo 2. Where do I open than commands. If I go on Select Cue window and choose instansity 100%, yellow color and gobo 2 it don't want to work. Did I understand all corectly?
1.png

You're nearly there. I forgot to mention that when saving cues you need to a) save them as transparent cues. If you didn't it's no big deal to re-save them as transparent. There's a check box to do that. You do NOT need to save them as new cues; and b) make sure that each different attribute is on a separate cue line. Put your intensity on line 1, color line 2, gobo on line 3, etc.

You do need to think about which cue line a sequence goes on because it is an HTP protocol. Anything in a higher numbered cue slot will override conflicting information in a lower numbered cue slot. For example, slot 1 has a cue of 100% intensity on all fixtures. Cue slot 7 has 50% intensity for the same fixtures. They will only go to 50% because slot 7 overrides 1.

In the cue window there's a button you have labeled "open select cue window" and that will recall your list of saved cues. Now you can click intensity, then click your gobo, your color, etc.

If you want to go back to your LJ Manager window, you'll have to assign a button for each cue.

Can I do that for all 4 moving heads separately? I will first program all scenes (for color, gobo, prims, etc.) for first moving head. After that I will put screen shot here. Than I wll need instructions for cue. I want to conrol all fixtures separately. For example

Moving one- red color, prism, gobo 1
Moving two- blue color, gobo 3 etc.

So if I want to change color on moving head one, I only need to touch another color on LJ manager, and everything other must stay the same (gobo and prism). Is that possible? And control all fixtures like that. I will try to create cues (transparent) and then I will post reply what I accomplish. I will even try to record video (tutorial) how I done that. So that you can tell me what I'am doing wrong.

Yes, but remember there are only 12 slots in the cue. If there are 20 lights and you want individual color control over all 20, you are out of slots.

Is possible to choose multiple cues to run? I have idea to create cues with colors (gobo etc.) for each moving head separately, and assign each cue to LJ Manager and then run multiple cues. I think that then will all work like I want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back