Updating a Church Look

StradivariusBone

Custom Title
Premium Member
Fight Leukemia
I work part time for my church with a moderately sized congregation of 2-3000 people. There are two buildings, a newer sanctuary (built primarily for traditional worship) and what is the original sanctuary was turned over to the modern worship style a few years back. It's a large building, shaped somewhat like a gym with a drop ceiling about 35' up and a steel roof about 10-15' above that. The stage is a sort of thrust stage that's partially embedded in the upstage wall. It's placed on one of the long walls in the middle so the distance between the speakers and back wall is almost half the distance from the left side to the right side. Lighting is comprised of two battens with PAR cans and two additional PAR cans about 40-50' back from the stage (before you :excitable: to that comment...I know:neutral:) .

The building was built for a choir, pastor and organist and the acoustics reflect as much. The design looks like a 1994 Church Stage Design handbook. There is a lot of talk right now of updating the look and trying to move into the realm of the modern worship centers. There is a neighboring church that is much newer and built to accommodate that style of contemporary worship and the general consensus is to move towards that "look".

In my opinion, the building itself would be suited towards such an upgrade, but not without a tremendous amount of work. There are a lot of loose and general ideas of what to change, but it boils down to three main categories of aesthetic, acoustics, and lighting, the sound equipment we presently have is competent (if not overpowering the building). The room is also the general multipurpose room for the church so it would have to have the flexibility of producing children's plays as well as public concerts in addition to the regular Sunday worship and Wednesday night potlucks. I've been pushing towards getting information from consulting firms that specialize in this and trying to get them to understand that what they want cannot be piecemeal-ed together. They are trying to compete with other modern churches in the sense that they want to create an environment that feels similar. Right now it feels like we're trying to drive a LeBaron like it's a Boxster.

I know there are companies in the Orlando area that consult on this sort of remodel/upgrade (we are in Brevard County, FL), but I'm at a loss as to where to begin. Unfortunately, I'm the most experienced person on staff with regard to this sort of thing, but I don't have any idea where to begin with a project of this magnitude. There is an idea about removing the ceiling tile grid and that would require the replacement of the drop in PAR house lights with pendants and the fluorescent work lights with alternatives. This would also accommodate acoustic shells hung from the roof. Not to mention the HVAC considerations of adding an extra 10' above that was previously unconditioned space, determining if the ceiling can be treated with insulation or even if the roof can structurally support hanging new light and acoustic systems off it. There are a lot of questions I don't have answers to and even more questions I don't know to ask.

I know there are many on this board who have great experience in remodel projects like this, and I know the stigma present with churches and spending money on upgrades, particularly when it comes to lowballing the expense. I feel like a project of this magnitude could galvanize our congregation with a big fundraising project that would energize the community and possible expand our membership just by the extra attention to the upgrades. But I also know that a consultant with the network of architectural engineers as well as designers, acousticians and lighting designers could knock this out of the park.

Ultimately, this could all be bluster, but I feel like it's important to attempt. So, in a rambling sort of way (I'm not into the whole brevity thing), where would be a good place to begin? Can anyone recommend businesses that would be helpful in just testing the waters?

I am sure @BillConnerASTC will be along with lots of valuable advice. I would suggest staying away from Design/Sell consultants (usually called Design/Build). I have come across many horror stories of renovations gone wrong. Remind the powers that be that the scope of renovations you listed would require bringing the entire structure up to current codes. Also point out that a qualified consultant will very likely save you money.

I was on the steering committee for a sanctuary remodel about 20 years ago. It's easy to fall into the trap of designing yourselves, then running headlong into all kinds of traps ranging from poor results to code violations. Everything affects something else. For example, that ceiling greatly affects acoustics, HVAC, fire systems, etc. You could easily cross thresholds that would require code updates to things you never thought of (such as ADA requirements), without knowing it. Don't spend $300k on interior work without knowing that the roof isn't going to leak in two years.

I urge you to involve an architect. Plan to spend a great deal of effort carefully choosing an architect with experience on similar projects. Tour some area churches to see what you like and don't like and learn who did their design. Interview the architect as thoroughly as you would if you were hiring a Pastor. We were most impressed with the firm that sent some staff to attend a worship service before they interviewed with us. The two staffers were members of the same denomination in another town. We spoke the same "language" and they had a better understanding of our needs.

The architect should bring to the table the range of experts needed to do the project successfully, including acoustical, mechanical, structural, electrical engineers, and possibly even liturgical artists. They will help you scope the project, set the budget, obtain permits, and produce a set of drawings and documents that are suitable to take to contractors for bidding.

I think you are right that this kind of project can add energy and renew a congregation in many ways. It did for us. The scariest part is the fundraising and taking on debt. There are some good church fundraising companies out there to help you do that, too.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back