Control/Dimming Using ETC Ion to fire Watchout 5 Using MIDI

Taylor

I have an ETC Ion running 2.0 and I am trying to run the master control computer for watchout 5 using a MIDI to USB adapter. I currently have the Ion outputting MIDI to the USB on the master computer, and the master computer is taking it, and firing the cues. The problem is that the Ion is sending go based on the active cue number. I.E: If I hit go on cue 1, it will send a cue 1 go to wacthout. This is a problem because i want my show cues and my projection cues to be in separate lists on the Ion console.

I have broken programming in to two Cue lists, List 1 is for show cues, and list 2 is for MIDI cues that should be sent to watchout. Cue list 1 has external links to cue list 2. I was hoping that i would be able to get cue list 2 to fire a MIDI go for watchout to take the next cue, but I can't seem to get Cue list 2 to output a Midi signal. When I hit go on cue list 1 cue 1 which has an external link to cue list 2 cue .5 my Console sends a MIDI signal to watchout to take cue 1 from cue list 1, not to take .5 from cue list two. Is there any way to make cue list two send MIDI gos without having to manual enter all the HEX? The default midi the Ion sends is to go with the cue number. so hitting go on cue list one cue 8 will send a go to cue 8 to watchout.

Thanks in advance

Hey Taylor,

I did a show in the Spring with this identical setup and had the same issue. - The ION will only send a "GO Cue X" from what ever is loaded onto the Master Fader. So if you load Cue 2/ onto the master fader and run your main show from a Fader Wing (I Know, tedious and PITA), you SHOULD be able to fire it that way.

In my situation, I made a macro to create a X.7 cue anywhere I needed to trigger Watchout and had the video programmer match my cue number. May be an option if you're not too far into programming or if there aren't a lot of Video cues.

Hope this helps!
-B

Hey Taylor,

I did a show in the Spring with this identical setup and had the same issue. - The ION will only send a "GO Cue X" from what ever is loaded onto the Master Fader. So if you load Cue 2/ onto the master fader and run your main show from a Fader Wing (I Know, tedious and PITA), you SHOULD be able to fire it that way.

In my situation, I made a macro to create a X.7 cue anywhere I needed to trigger Watchout and had the video programmer match my cue number. May be an option if you're not too far into programming or if there aren't a lot of Video cues.

Hope this helps!
-B

Haven't started yet, and we have quite a few video cues, (100+ at least)

Edit: also, the show is lengthy as well, what would be the best way to run it from a fader wing?

Hey,

So, basically you want to load cue list 1 onto a desired Fader on the wing, and the two buttons are your GO and STOP/BACK button. Then Load your cue list 2 (Video triggers) to master fader on the console.

Then you can execute cue list 2/x from the List 1 and it SHOULD send midi go's to Watchout from the List 2 on the Master.

Let me know if this works out.

BUT, I would probably go with the blank cue and make a macro for a x .y cue, and just program watchout in that manner. If you haven't started, it really will save you a headache and you will only have one cue list to worry about.

-BG

Just
Hey,

So, basically you want to load cue list 1 onto a desired Fader on the wing, and the two buttons are your GO and STOP/BACK button. Then Load your cue list 2 (Video triggers) to master fader on the console.

Then you can execute cue list 2/x from the List 1 and it SHOULD send midi go's to Watchout from the List 2 on the Master.

Let me know if this works out.

BUT, I would probably go with the blank cue and make a macro for a x .y cue, and just program watchout in that manner. If you haven't started, it really will save you a headache and you will only have one cue list to worry about.

-BG

Going to stick with a single cue list! Thanks for the help!

That's not true. MSC out of an EOS/ION includes the cue list information. You can definitely use a separate cue list and have the main playback execute it. The problem is not sending the right information, the problem is getting Watchout to listen for the right information, cue list 2/ in this case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to clear this up.
By default Eos will send a MSC Go on every cue in every list.

But if you look Show Control setup the bottom tile is 'Midi Cue List', if you set this to 2 is will on transmit MSC for that list and not list 1 (or other lists).

I find it much easier to do these triggers as another list, when you want to just step through video you can just step through that list and you don't need to run all the lighting.
It has nothing to do with what is mapped to the master playback.

I apologize for my ill advice, it seems Nsimmons is correct and I was misinformed on this topic a few years back when first exploring MSC and qLab. Thank you for the clarification! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back