Vectorworks Default Focus Point Height

Colin

Something that has always bugged me in Vectorworks Spotlight is that as far as I know there is no way to change the default height of focus points. Does anyone know of a secret hiding place for the default setting and how to change it? I'm now using version 2015.

They always insert at 5'-0" which is usually not where I need them, so I either change the height as I insert each one, or insert them all and then select a bunch at a time and make the adjustments. The mouse clicks can really add up...

For me, once I use a new height that stays as the default for all new points.

Woah you're right! I admit, I upgraded to 2015 in June and although I've done a fair amount of drawing with the new version, that probably has not included any new focus points until now. VW 2011 does default back to 5'-0" every time (I just checked to make sure I wasn't completely making this up) but 2015 keeps the last entered height. I just started a plot today and up came that pesky 5'-0" and I incorrectly jumped to the assumption that the tool's behavior hadn't changed since 2011. I didn't remember seeing the change in the 2015 release notes but they probably don't mention every little thing, or else I missed it...

and up came that pesky 5'-0"
Pardon my ignorance, but unless one is dealing with very tall (or very short) actors, what's wrong with " that pesky 5'-0" " as a default focus height?

Pardon my ignorance, but unless one is dealing with very tall (or very short) actors, what's wrong with " that pesky 5'-0" " as a default focus height?

For me common reasons are large platforms that raise face height, and also ensuring coverage overhead if arms or props will be raised. The latter comes into play more when the action is near an upstage or wingside light line, or if I have inventory issues and am trying to stretch fixture spacing a little.

For checking coverage I use the light meter tool. It's not very accurate but all you need is relative brightness.

Several different grids and points on a class that can be hidden let me move things without changing the measuring points.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back