Video: Stage Junk's new Flat Focus tool

gafftaper

Senior Team
Senior Team
Fight Leukemia
Here's the Demo Video of Stage Junk's new Ultimate Flat Focus Tool. I thought it looked pretty cool and for $20 it's priced right. I bought one and I'll put it to the test next Thursday when I focus for my next show. So look for a review soon. I had it in my pocket at work today and noticed it was significantly more comfortable than a 6" wrench.

Rob wants everyone to know that the original Ultimate Focus tool with the continuity tester has dropped in price down to $75. Yeah it's pricey, but if you are 60 feet up on a truss it's worth it. For the rest of us maybe not, but this new tool is one that all of us can use and afford.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Here's mine up close:
IMG_20101023_094422.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very cool, thank you for sharing this!

I believe it does, look at the 48 second mark. He says the fat wing handles which I think is what you are referring to.

The Mega-Claw's handle is the same width, but significantly longer than the fat wing nuts used on couplers.
image.jpgimage.jpg
Even the UFT only works these at 90°. I don't believe the Flat Focus Tool has the capability for these. But then again, it's rare one would ever need to put a wrench on one.

I used it a little yesterday for a minor refocus. Next week I'll get a whole day in and be able to give you a real feel for it. But my initial reaction was very positive. Even though I usually only carry a 6" crescent wrench this thing is noticeably lighter. It's also rounded so you don't poke yourself when you sit on the wrench in your back pocket. Long after focus was done, I still had it in my back pocket as I had completely forgot it was there.
As far as function, I hung some fresnels, adjusted some S4's, and adjusted the balance on a couple right arms. There were a couple of times that it was slightly difficult to get it into position. However I discovered that if you slide the tool, over the head and down around the shaft of the bolt, to reposition, you can work pretty well even in tight situations. Overall, my initial reaction is very good.

This is what the cut sheet lists as features:
-3/4" and 19mm for Standard C-clamp and Star Knobs on etc lekos
-7/8" for scaffold clamps
-17mm European
-9/16" Yoke bolts
-1/2" C-Clamp
-3/8" Older swivel focus nut on C-Clamp
-5/16" Newer swivel focus nut on C-clamp
-Larger Opening for larger shackles and fat wing nuts
-Long Narrow slot for smaller shackles and regular wing nuts
-Bottle Opener
-Lanyard Hole

Well I had the chance to do a full focus with the new flat focus tool this week. My inventory is a mix pretty typical for educational theater, didn't use it for anything like road cases or shackles, just a lot of source fours and other conventional lights. The new tool was great. I love how light weight it is and how easily it slips in my back pocket and I can forget it's there. I did move the lanyard ring. As you can see in my picture from the first post above, It comes with the lanyard ring located at the same end as all the connections you typically use for C-Clamps. This VERY quickly became annoying. So I slipped the ring off and put it through the area that is supposed to be used for larger handles at the other end. This will slow me down if I ever have to use it for that, but it's much easier to tighten and F-nut without the lanyard ring 1/4" away. Although my C-wrench will never be too far away, I see my self continuing to use this on a regular basis as my primary tool.

Comparing it to similar products.
I've just never liked the way the Altman wrench feels in my hand. To me, the Altman feels like someone said, "just cut these sizes of bolts into a piece of metal", instead of really thinking and designing the layout. I love the small size of the Mega Handle, but it's too small. I've always wished it had a 6" handle out the back of it. You've heard me complain about people putting too much force on their c-clamps in the past with 8" C-wrenches, but the mega handle is so small you can't put enough force. If you run into an over tightened bolt, you are in trouble with the mega handle. The flat focus tool handles all the connections that these two tools offer, and a lot more. It also simply feels nicer in your hand and feels like a smarter design layout. Two thumbs up!

Ok, I think I am sold on this, it should be a nice upgrade from the aluminum tool I use now that couldn't quite replace a c-wrench. The normal ultimate focus tool was just a little to bulky and expensive for me.

AVkid if rumor is correct, you can e-mail Rob (who is an awesome guy) at [email protected] and place an order that way.

I just emailed Rob to get ordering info from him.

Last edited:
So I've been using my TD's new UFT a lot. I have to say, the thing is very intuitive once you hang a few fixtures. It's a rather well thought out design, all though I do miss the pin cleaner. Half the time when one splits a pin it need cleaning too.

I also had a thought as to improving it. Add a 1/4" hex bit driver with a magnetic hold so one could use insert bits. Just think, a tool that could hold a phillips bit so I can open the iris slot on Source 4's without reaching for my Leatherman.

Rob says just send him an email [email protected] with your phone number and best time to call and he'll call you back. DON'T ever email your credit card number. Another great thing about buying from him is the good karma of supporting a small business with good products.

Last edited:
I've been using mine around the shop for the past week or so and I LOVE it! It is by far the best lighting tool I have owned to date! I love how it easily slips onto the bolts/wing nuts/fat wing nuts with out ever having to mess with a c-wrench again!

I got mine the other day and will give it a workout tomorrow loading in Manheim Steamroller. I usually don't hang lights much anymore but I will so I can test it. Either that or I will let one of my sons try it. When I showed it to them my low key on says,"Cool Dad" The other was really exicted, he thought it was will be a great tool. I showed it to a couple of my hands and they are equally impressed.

I tried it out and was very happy with it. You can carry it in your pocket and not notice it. It worked very well on the wing nuts on the cheeseburoughs and I tried it on some case latches just to try it. I was very happy with it. Several of my hands asked why I didn't buy 10 and sell them to them.

I tried it out and was very happy with it. You can carry it in your pocket and not notice it.
Yeah I think the thing that most impresses me is that it's so light weight and sits so comfortably in my back pocket. I literally hung lights all morning, did some programming for several hours, worked around the shop a while, drove home, stopped at the store, and when I finally got home and changed my clothes I realized that I still had my flat focus tool in my back pocket.

My C-Wrench on the other hand is always uncomfortable when I sit down. I have to take it out of my pocket when programming, then I forget it at the console when I go back to the catwalks and have to come back down again to get it! :doh:

I've had the tool for a couple months now, and LOVE it. My comments would just echo everything that has stated before, and I just wanted to reiterate that Rob was great to work with, and was a really nice guy. I'm thinking about buying a few more as x-mas presents cause there very affordable in my eyes.

I ordered two for Christmas presents this weekend. Rob was fantastic. I am looking forward to getting them this week.

~Dave

I bought two, one for me and one for my son for Christmas. I sold the second on to one of my hands and ordered two more for my sons for Christmas. So that's four I have bought so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back