Waterproof microphone

Morte615

I am working on a show where the main performer, wearing a headworn wireless mic, gets wet. And by wet I mean soaked! Equivalent to dumping a bucket of water on them.

We have an aqua pack to protect the transmitter but I'm looking for a mic that can get good quality while still being waterproof. We are using a yoga mic now but I have to think there are better options out there.

Removing the mic during that part is not an option either. He has lines before, during, and after.

Budget is NOT shoot for the moon but there is money around so what's the best waterproof mic for value.?

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk

Countryman B3 lavs are supposed to be fairly waterproof. Several years ago I had heard a claim of them placing the mic element in a can of Coke overnight, pulling it out the next day, shaking it off, and it worked fine. They also sound very good and are modestly priced compared to the other Broadway grade lavs.

If I were going to try this, I would go with a B3 taped to the face. What direction is the water coming from? Be sure that the element is not head on with the direction of the water and you might be okay...... that said, how long is your run, and can you get a few spares?

I'll add to that ... you don't want water to puddle on the mesh screen of the mic element, otherwise it will block the sound. A simple shakeout should clear the water, but with the mic fixed on the actor it's going to be hard to do that unless the actor can shake their head pretty violently.

Hopefully you can figure this out in your tech rehearsals. Please post pics and or video once you have it working

I worked on a production of Singin' in the Rain where we encountered a similar problem. We chose to record a bit of dialogue and the song then we played it back through the sound system. It worked best when the actor marked the dialogue and song instead of trying to truly lip sync. Recorded and mixed properly, it won't sound any different than live sound. Not sure if this is an option for you or not. It could be difficult if there is a lot of dialog or if the performers are close to the audience.

The show is already running with the above system. The yoga mic works but doesn't sound great. This is also an ongoing show so no end date in sight. Speech only with no singing but lots of improve.
The gag is a vertical jet of water to the body as they lean over it. No direct hit to the face but plenty of spray.
As I said it works now and no issues with the mic not working, just a quality of product issue.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk

On a related tangent, I'm trying to figure out how to mic "Wash the Man out of My Hair" for South Pacific, which is going to involve a working shower. My current choices are Countryman B3, Countryman E6, Shure WL-93, or a single capsule purchase of up to $400. I have been told area mics are not an acceptable solution. What are people's thoughts? (And if I've asked this before, sorry, very scatterbrained at the moment).

I would just build the shower so that the performer can't be seen. But that's just me. I believe that when I did this about 8 years ago, we just had a skin tight strapless one-piece bathing suit with an ancient lapel mic on it concealed by a towel. Actress faced away from the water so that the majority of the water ran down her backside. We got pretty lucky, but it worked. I'd try it with the B3, but it's a lot easier to say when it isn't my equipment.

On a related tangent, I'm trying to figure out how to mic "Wash the Man out of My Hair" for South Pacific, which is going to involve a working shower. My current choices are Countryman B3, Countryman E6, Shure WL-93, or a single capsule purchase of up to $400. I have been told area mics are not an acceptable solution. What are people's thoughts? (And if I've asked this before, sorry, very scatterbrained at the moment).
I used a WL-93 for the same scene. I sprayed a tiny foam windscreen with Scotchguard to repel water and, of course, protected the transmitter. It worked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back