What is this?

JChenault

Starting rehearsal in a space used by the local Gilbert and Sullivan company ( ie voice preservation is important to them ).
There are two of these devices in the room. About once ever 30 seconds or so it would make a "zap" noise like a bug zapper.

Our artistic director said it is a device to control static electricity and that this helps the singers voices. Anyone have any ideas about what this is, how it works, and what it is doing?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 379
Thanks for the ID

The manual says an occasional snapping may occur,. I have no idea when the units were last servicespd.

It's better than the ones that pump ozone into the air. How that's good I don't understand. On an interesting sidenote, should you find the need for poor man's air purification I'll share a trick I discovered at a cigar shop that allowed you to smoke in the store. They took several box fans (the $12 type you find in HD or Lowes or Walmart) and affixed a furnace air filter to the intake side. The owner claimed it kept his counters from getting too sooty, but I would wager they'd work in a pinch anywhere you want to clean particulates from the air.

Of course the internet has some info- http://lifehacker.com/5976491/make-a-simple-air-purifier-with-a-fan-and-a-furnace-filter

Some vocalists will believe anything. I used to tell bands I was using a modified smoke machine that also output vapor like a humidifier and it was good for their voice.

Reactions: Ric

Users who are viewing this thread

Back