Whole Hog III screen blank

Kurt

I'm new to the Whole Hog, so I've been playing with it to get familiar with the controls. I was looking into creating a fixture personality by hand... Not because I need to be able to but simply so I knew how it worked, and when I tried creating the personality both screens went completely black. I could right click for a command line but that was about it. Is that normal? I had to reboot to get it back -___-

The Fixture Builder on the H3 was never the best. It's better on the 4. However, that being said, you more than likely experienced a "Desktop" crash…not an entire console crash.

So…that being said A) to use Fixture Builder for the 3, use Hog3PC. It was a little better. Also be sure to check the library online…it might be there already.
And B) when there's a crash like that, you can hold PIG+OPEN+BACKSPACE and that brings up the Task Manager. The H3 (and H4 for that matter) is a multi function controller. You can generally have a desktop crash, but still have playback and editors going. Generally, Editors are the one key item that will require a reboot. To restart a process from the window, right click on the item and click on "Restart <process>"

Hope that helps..

The Fixture Builder on the H3 was never the best. It's better on the 4. However, that being said, you more than likely experienced a "Desktop" crash…not an entire console crash.

So…that being said A) to use Fixture Builder for the 3, use Hog3PC. It was a little better. Also be sure to check the library online…it might be there already.
And B) when there's a crash like that, you can hold PIG+OPEN+BACKSPACE and that brings up the Task Manager. The H3 (and H4 for that matter) is a multi function controller. You can generally have a desktop crash, but still have playback and editors going. Generally, Editors are the one key item that will require a reboot. To restart a process from the window, right click on the item and click on "Restart <process>"

Hope that helps..
That is a huge help, thank you. I was looking through some old release notes and noticed there have been a lot of patches for crashing. Sounds like the software isn't particularly stable. I didn't need to build a fixture, I was just doing it because I want to familiarize myself with everything I can and then it crashed. That'll be good to know next time it happens.

3.2.6 is a good, stable release. I have it on several installed Hog 3's/RH's, etc. But there's definitely some things you can do (as with any console) that can crash the desktop and/or system. I had my fair share of crashes on pretty much every console I've ever programmed. :-D But that's also why I like the Hog layout of a tiered system and you can recover while still playing a show back from faders (and yes, I've had to do it).

The fixture builder is definitely the most "unstable" part of the software. If I have to build a fixture, i do it on the PC version and test thoroughly from HogPC. That way I know I'm not introducing some strangeness to show files.

Glad to be of help…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back