Control/Dimming working ETC with A PC

fumb3l

I have been reading up on different usb-dmx control interfaces and "pucks." However i have not come across any information depicting weather or not i can or cant use different control software. I would assume that some that share the same name as the software included would be for that software only. is there anything out there thats not 1k$ like the nomad pucks which control ETC, that will work with ETC. I use an ETC element board in the theater i work and it would be sweet to be using basically two consoles of the same type and one i can take home. Im using a MAC as my lap top.

Thanks Fumb3l

The only "free" professional PC console is Chamsys MagicQ. It is a steep learning curve if you have not used programmer based consoles before. If you want to use the Nomad software to control your lights, you have to buy the Nomad dongle or puck, no way around it.

Hi there. Phil with ChamSys here. We have some videos to get you started at www.chamsysusa.com/training should help flatten any curve :) you can also sign up for free online training on that page. You can interface with a lot of other usb interfaces but some are locked out by their manufacturers. If you want to check out ours...works with mac too.....please see www.magicdmx.com

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Martin M-PC is also free for 1 universe over Artnet, sACN, or Enttec USB device. I don't know others opinions, but it seems to be a "free professional" software solution. I will also second the ChamSys suggestion, a very strong product there. However, I did fine it somewhat intimidating coming from ETC EOS family consoles, which I feel extremely comfortable with.

I have been reading up on different usb-dmx control interfaces and "pucks." However i have not come across any information depicting weather or not i can or cant use different control software. I would assume that some that share the same name as the software included would be for that software only. is there anything out there thats not 1k$ like the nomad pucks which control ETC, that will work with ETC. I use an ETC element board in the theater i work and it would be sweet to be using basically two consoles of the same type and one i can take home. Im using a MAC as my lap top.

Thanks Fumb3l

What do you mean by "work with ETC" ?, as you then go on to state that you're OK with 2 consoles.

If you are OK with 2 consoles, one of those being your Element, then any other desk, free or not, would work, provided you have the means to get the DMX from the 2nd desk/PC either into your system or to the fixtures required.

Or are you desiring to "link" the Element with add'l ETC software-on-a-PC as the 2nd desk ? To do this you would need either the Nomad Puck stand-alone PC or a Nomad dongle and a PC to run the Nomad software. The dongle would likely want to be of similar address count as the Element, so 1024 address version, which certainly is not free or cheap.

What exactly are you trying to do ?.

Perhaps you mean you want to program at home. This sort of "off-line" work for the Element is done with the Nomad software. The software is free, you only need to buy a dongle if you want the PC to replace the Element.

Rick is right! I work for ETC, and it sounds like perhaps you just want to be able to program at home using an EOS interface. If so, you can go to this page on ETC: https://www.etcconnect.com/Products/Consoles/Cobalt-Family/Nomad/Software.aspx. Download the Mac client, and you can choose Element or EOS to program or practice on. You can even save your showfile to be used on your actual console! As Rick also said, you cannot use this software to actually output DMX, but unless you have a lab or rig at home, it should be fine for your purposes.

Could you define what you mean by rig or lab. Do you mean any dmx to usb or FireWire or the nomad.
Some people may have their own 'light lab' set up that they can use to model their lighting, or have a rig (set of lights) at home that they can use. Neither would work for you because you can't output dmx from your computer.

You won't be able to connect your mac via dmx to your lights at the theater. What you can do, is program your show on your laptop, then save it to a usb, and load it on your element at work.

What you can do, if your machine is powerful enough and you have enough screen space, is use a visualizer. I've run both Nomad and Capture (www.capturesweden.com) on the same computer.
2 computers on a network is better. It will also blink all the lights off every few seconds as part of the payment assurance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back