Xenon Lamps and Shipping

LavaASU

Two questions if anyone knows anything about this:

1. Can Xenon lamps be air shipped and do they require any hazmat paperwork/requirements?

2. Are they allowed on planes (carry on or checked)?

Yes, I realize this sounds very strange. Long story. Can't find answers on Dr. Google.

New lamps, in their original resistant containers can be shipped. They are fairly stable. I would suspect the TSA would not let you on the plane with one! I doubt they would even know what one was, but it could sure be used as a shrapnel weapon. Old lamps are a whole different story. Near the end of life they tend to blow if you look at them the wrong way. Last thing you would need is one to go boom in a plane. That is why it is recommended for them to be destroyed on site using the proper procedure. Now, the real question is, what about one that is used but not old? For that answer, I would contact your carrier directly.

New lamps, in their original resistant containers can be shipped. They are fairly stable. I would suspect the TSA would not let you on the plane with one! I doubt they would even know what one was, but it could sure be used as a shrapnel weapon. Old lamps are a whole different story. Near the end of life they tend to blow if you look at them the wrong way. Last thing you would need is one to go boom in a plane. That is why it is recommended for them to be destroyed on site using the proper procedure. Now, the real question is, what about one that is used but not old? For that answer, I would contact your carrier directly.

Well as far as the TSA thing it would actually be a de-gassed lamp (theres a procedure to do this, it's kinda fun, but not getting into it on here for safety reasons) used for training/demos, but I could see trying to explain that being interesting.

Two questions if anyone knows anything about this:

1. Can Xenon lamps be air shipped and do they require any hazmat paperwork/requirements?

2. Are they allowed on planes (carry on or checked)?

Yes, I realize this sounds very strange. Long story. Can't find answers on Dr. Google.

To answer your questions:
1) They can be air-shipped in small quantity, but they do have Hazmat paperwork requirements. The annode and cathode are made of Thoriated Tungsten, and are considered "Radioactive material".

2) No. They are under VERY high pressure and for all intents and purposes they are bombs. No way would they be allowed on a passenger plane.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back