Yet another 'What is it?'

derekleffew

Resident Curmudgeon
Senior Team
Premium Member
Submitted by [USER]venuetech[/USER].
Admittedly, this one's a tough one.

WII_ 20130215.jpg

It's a piece of metal, probably steel. About 1/4" thick. Measures somewhere between 8"x8" and 12"x12".
We need the proper name, and the use for which it is intended. GO.

Students only for one week, please.

2012-08-16 17.54.12.jpg another view they are 1/8" steel about 8" to 10" at the largest dimension. As you can see it was handy to have a few of them around.

Thanks for the hint, derekleffew. I would never have guessed that, as I have never used that method.

Part of a large barn door assembly? Armour plating off of a world war 1 era tank? Guillotine blades? They look homeade, roughcut, and different sized, so I'd assume that precision is not required of whatever application they fill.

Last edited:
Part of a large barn door assembly? Armour plating off of a world war 1 era tank? Guillotine blades? They look homeade, roughcut, and different sized, so I'd assume that precision is not required of whatever application they fill.

Nope. you would have found these in the scene shop, not the E-shop.
they are homemade, ruff cut, with the edges ground smooth to make them easier to handle.
Updates in shop technology left the need for them in the dust long ago.

I believe this item was obliquely referred to in a QOTD within the past two months.

Based on their shapes it looks like they might have been used as weights to hold Cornerblocks, Keystones, and Straps in place when building flats. Just a guess.

They look like they might be used as framing squares, to hold two parts at a fixed angle to they could be joined.

Based on their shapes it looks like they might have been used as weights to hold Cornerblocks, Keystones, and Straps in place when building flats. Just a guess.

Not sure what you mean by "Strap". Do you mean 'Toggle" IE the horizontal piece of wood in the center of the flat that connects the two Rails ( long side pieces)?

It may be "just a guess" but it is the best one so far. Your are in the ball park. but they are not weights.

Welcome to the Forum ! check out the new member board and introduce yourself. Enjoy
New Member Board

Not sure what you mean by "Strap".
Rails are the top and bottom of a flat
a stile is the long side
A [-]flat, hollywood's[/-] flat, Broadway's rail and stile are connected with a corner block.
A toggle is connected to the stiles with a keystone.
When used, a diagonal (called a "cornerbrace" in the illustration below) is connected with a strap (sometimes called a half-keystone).
8732-yet-another-what-flat.png

Scene shop

-----

I too, wondered about the shapes in the picture in post#3, but decided it was purely coincidental.;)

(Posted simultaneously with the above.) FWIW, I feel The Backstage Handbook's illustration errs in not showing two diagonal braces. If a flat is wide/tall enough to warrant their use, they should be used in pairs, both on the same stile, not in opposing corners.

Attachments

• flat.png
    flat.png
    16.7 KB · Views: 953
Last edited:
They look like they might be used as framing squares, to hold two parts at a fixed angle to they could be joined.
a metal plate of this size is not going to hold a flat square.

stick with your framing square, the 3-4-5 method and corner to corner measurement to keep your flats square and true.

what kind of tools and hardware were commonly available to the scenic carpenter 40 or more years ago?

Last edited:
A flat, hollywood's rail and stile are connected ..........

Brief note. A Hollywood flat is built with the framing lumber on edge to the face. A Broadway style flat is just that, flat. That is the lumber is oriented with the face of the board parallel to the face of the flat, as shown in the illustrations shown in the other posts.

A minor hint here. The object in question was sometimes eliminated from a scene shop's inventory if the floor was poured concrete instead of wood, but concrete was not as good for the intended purpose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back