10" Altman Leko restored

ship

Senior Team Emeritus
Premium Member
I restored one of the found Leko's from the local legendary Chigago area Poplar Creek Music Theater.

Wow! was it an incredibly complex lamp socket assembly puzzle in such a light. 36 years of it mostly not working sitting outdoors, second photo shows how pitted in rust iit was afterwards, but sand blasting and some time with re-surfacing otherwise works magic. Altman made a 12" larger version, yet to see one. But as per this summer, a designer wanted me to make a 12" PAR can for a concept piece, and I did make a 12" PAR can, and it didn't go anywhere after inventing. But often in prop light bigger is better in those larger lights might now be becoming more valuable these days for a re-purpose. I know where the other 10" Leko's live in rusting away, perhaps just a period of time until they are wanted for prop lights in no longer being viable for efficient show lights - this even if using the current lamp for such lights / only 2Kw lamp in use. Perhaps in the future, these lights looking like cannons but putting out light, and or RGB light might soon be in need. This one is going to the museum though, right between two Mole Ellipsoido's in location.

6) Altman #3500 10x15̊ Leko 1980 - (1974 introduction): 2Kw/120v G-38 Mogul Bi-Pin Lamp (Altman Fixture sticker marked for 1.5Kw specicied lamp. Wired for SOOW cable in a 2-screw ½" NPT cord grip thru a vent hole in not using the three Heyco type cord grips for original design of three separate asbestos conductors coming out of the light from these individual holes original for design.

Fixture...Very Farm Fresh and roasted in fuzzy rust - that bad in rough condition - fully restored*. (Originally from Poplar Creek Music Theater -1980. 1x B.Ship fully restored. 5x at Live Nation / World Theater - Tinley Park - rusted solid.) Believe someone re-wired the lights for 12/3 SOOW cable in doubting given the lamp socket assembly 90c wire would be near a 2Kw lamp.. but possible given the fixture date and change over from asbestos when this light was made. Nice nylon or Teflon insulators between conductors and frame. A few parts I added that would normally be useful or used these days.

*Altman Hammertone Brown in Rust-Oleum Hammered Brown #210880 spray paint is a Very Close match to the original color. It is not rated for high temperature. [Do not apply to surfaces that, when heated, exceed 200̊F (93̊C.) A base coat of high heat flat black paint was used after sand blasting under it as a primer. High temp. flat black was also used where possible inside the light on all steel to aluminum surfaces where PTFE was not applied in especially bright work steel parts that need to slide - like shutters. On a 2Kw spotlight, such paint would not work in the long run, probably not even on a any 500w spotlight, this paint would not work well long term/long hours. Will work properly if lampped under that and dimmed down purposes only in use or coloring it for restoration of original look only. Better if restoring a fixture for use to use all high temp. paint with PTFE on the movable parts bright work - once resurfaced.

Next up for me, a Box spot c.1934 at oldest with Fresnel lens, but one that has LECO hole patterns to its' venting holes. Next step, research back into that brand for when did they come to market and what model number is this. In general if in research mode about a fixture - short of seeing venting holes that match up with a specific brand of light, one could not easily pull up posted PDF catalogues from this website - posted to this website. Let's say we have a box spot that if it has a Fresnel lens. It than would be post about 1934 - with some argument of 1928 for a range of starting date for Fresnel.

Can easily search the Kliegl website - not updated in easy to find info, but still useful. Srand website does the same in use. Other websites have old catalogues, but not much else other than what's on Wiki for Controlbooth. But if you want to search out research if Capitol verses Century verses any number of other brands including Hub... how easily do you research those catalogues? They are somewhere on this Controlbooth website.... but the search mechanism is really hard to make work for you. Spent time this past week in failed attmpts to research catalogues I sent to the website. Website needs work to easily access research info sent to it.

Attachments

• IMG_20161204_202251117.jpg
    IMG_20161204_202251117.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_20161204_202238152.jpg
    IMG_20161204_202238152.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:

Attachments

• 3300.pdf
    76.2 KB · Views: 157
Mogul Bi-Post (G-38.) Your cut sheet lists a 2Kw version and that would not be medium pefocus in option for a P-28s lamp. Perhaps your catalogue listing was from about the time of this fixture in this being it. The yellow Altman UL listing fixture decal I saw on it while trying to remove (unsuccessfully) listed the wattage at 1,500 Watts. There are five more up at the theater if necessary. None the less, a CYX lamp was removed as was SOOW cable for the wiring.

Interesting cut sheet, either up side down or there is no gobo slot. Doesn't show the fluiting of the upper pineapple assembly, and what's that sticking up at an angle like where you might have a lens adjustment screw?

Fascinating the catalogue page, cool you were able to pull it up.

Personal note, hey Derek... ever work there? Perhaps focused this light?

Get ready for a LECO box spot post in questions. Been having internet problems and might have to be soon in questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back