10’ swinging wall...yikes

mightymel

I’ve got a concern that needs some mathematical backup. The designer has two of these 8’ tall x10’ long pocket walls that slide out between two 8’ tall platforms. They are double sided and one is SL and the other SR. They meet in the middle to create a french door. We've gone back and forth on design and safety because in the center we also have a 16’ revolve. The SL and SR platforms are floor level while the center revolve is raised about 6”. They would be built from wood because we currently dont have access to metalworking tools.

My original solution for making the pocket walls work was to use rotacasters from rosebrand. But then the walls wont clear the center revolve to come together.

His solution is to create a swinging pocket wall that has a counterweight wall that is secured off stage. That’s a 10’ free swinging wall. When it reaches the revolve, the revolve would take the weight. This is a solution Im not ok with but currently dont have a substitute for the two walls coming together.

I do have “Structural design for the stage” if that helps but I feel like this method is the most unsafe, least ‘durable’ and will case problems during the run.

This probably sounds totally confusing. I attached some renderings he gave me. And my floor plan CAD draft to check for clearance.

Attachments

• Counterweigt swinging wall.jpg
    Counterweigt swinging wall.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 309
  • Les Mis Draft #1.pdf
    157.7 KB · Views: 285
Last edited:
I don't understand but DON'T try to transfer load from hanging to floor without a lot of experience and money. If at all possible, hang these on a track - much safer and simpler.

Can you build up the floor around that side of the revolve to make it all the same height? That way you could still use casters to support the weight as long as the gap between the revolve and that platforming is small enough.

Do they really need to both slide and swing? From the drawing, it looks like they could potentially just swing out of the way... but I'm not sure I fully understand the design you're going for.

Do they really need to both slide and swing? From the drawing, it looks like they could potentially just swing out of the way... but I'm not sure I fully understand the design you're going for.

I'm guessing they've got different scenery painted on each side. Tracking offstage gives the designer 3 different looks instead of just the two...

Luckily these aren't that big. Size is relative. It looks like they slide out from under the catwalk/platform thing. Awesome. That means youve got structure above, below, and on both sides. Plenty of room for a track or something to guide these things out. Unlike you I like the idea of a counterweight. You figure out the weight of the door (ballpark 300lbs?), know how a seesaw works, and you can calculate how heavy your counterweight needs to be. The counterweight wall isn't "secured" as you say, but is hinged to the back edge of the door and travels with it as it tracks onstage. If you have a robust enough track and carriers, i'd try to hang the whole contraption first like what @BillConnerFASTC said. Put some guide blocks on the floor to prevent swinging... Its a good idea and lets you have a free swinging door without having to bother with wheels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back