12v DMX relay

kicknargel

Working on a gag where we need to individually control 16 sets of 2-4 12v rotary lights (like on construction vehicles). The lights are 25w @ 12v, so perhaps as much as 100w @ 12v per "unit."

Any good leads on dmx relays that can switch this?

Or other good ideas? We could just build a switch box and run a ton of cable, or perhaps use 120v relays with a power adapter on each.

Thanks.

Your probably going to be hard pressed to find a DMX control board that can handle that kind of current. Your best bet is going to be using the output of a DMX relay board to trigger an actual relay. I've done this many times with great success for lighting gags as well as some simple automation like kabuki drops just by changing out the relay. As far as DMX relay boards go, I have had good luck with the Pathway dinrail mount control boards.
-Chris

Good Morning!

The 1003 eDIN module from Pathway Connectivity provides DMX512 to contact closure over 12 relays that can be normally open or normally closed. The relays are rated for 100000 cycles minimum at 2A at 30V. Accordingly, I don't think you should consider our eDIN product for this gag. That being said, you might want to take a look at the 4850-16 SNAP panel. It could be your answer. More can be found here: http://www.pathwayconnect.com/images/stories/cut/4850-X SNAP Control Panel R2.pdf

Applications assistance is always available by writing to [email protected]

Best Regards,
Pathway Connectivity

Van Rommel
Director Business Development

Thanks for the help. At this point my plan is to plug the 12v power supplies into shoebox dimmers (which I have) and control them that way. I'm sure it's not ideal for the power supplies, but they're cheap, this only needs to last a few days, and I think it's worth a try. Van I appreciate your help, but was looking for a more distributed and low-profile solution. I did reach out to Northlight and got no response.

You could try wiring some in series but you'd need 10 lamps per circuit. I agree that off-the-shelf power supplies are the way to go. If you get the magnetic type, they may be more forgiving.

Sorry I'm so late to the game here. You've probably already used the shoebox dimmers, but I'll ramble on for posterity's sake.

Blue Point Engineering makes an 8 channel base PCB relay card. Basically they send you a card that does all of the DMX magic and you just solder on the SSR's that you need for a the job. The base card is $165 and the SSR's they recommend for a 10A @ 60 VDC rating are ~$35 each so sadly it's not exactly what I would call an affordable solution, but would still give a you a reasonably small and streamlined control solution for under $500 in parts. There are some cheaper compatible SSR's out there, but buyer beware I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back