145'x20' Cyc

Esoteric

Hey guys, so I am working on a projection project and I have a question. After talking to my distributor, he is talking to Rosebrand, but I was wondering, is a 145' wide by 20' seamless cyc possible? Also, if I am doing only front projection, is it even necessary? We have done huge drops for projection before, but nothing this large.

You know, Rosebrand's website has lots of great info. They have both synthetic (starting around $80/yd) and bleached ($97) and dyed ($113) natural, that are large enough. Having them do the stitching will be a small fraction of the material cost.

Only you can decide if you can live with a seam. If you go with one horizontal seam, 128" synthetic is about $15/yd (x2 = $30).

I really like the synthetics for cycs. IFR (never need re-treating), lighter and less wrinkly.

The presence of a seam can be a concern if the fabric used is translucent enough that the light passing through the main fabric bounces back off the fabric of the seam allowance, and becomes visible from the front in the form of a line of brightness in the projected image. Light behind the cyc can reveal seams (exit lights, hallways, etc.), and stitch lines can sometimes pucker slightly causing wrinkles that are nearly impossible to fully hide. If your gig is one that really wants 'perfect' (like a corporate event), then pony up for the seamless cyc (and pass the cost on to the client). If some imperfection will be forgiven (like a student project), then seamed will likely be cheaper.

20' high seamless is easy, though expensive, looms exist that are wider than that, one merely hems up a 50 yard piece from such a loom to get the 20'x145' soft goods you mentioned. But, with so many more threads to manage and possibly break, getting flaw-free fabric is more of a challenge, and the mills charge accordingly.

Even if you can find a 20' wide roll of fabric to purchase, odds are there will be a seam in the roll at some point over the 145'. Have you considered building a 145' flat and spackling and smoothing the cracks? It's certainly not unusual. Any seam in a cyc will show in some form or fashion, and a seamless wall will look so much sharper live and in production photos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back