1916 Chicago Stage Lighting Catalogue

ship

Senior Team Emeritus
Premium Member
Ok,if I loose this bid and I hope I don't; I would hope who ever gets the E-Bay bid for this 1916 catalogue for Chiago Stage Lighting Company would do the proper thing in posting it page by page on controlbooth.com and Kliegl Brothers website. This is very important history of stage lighting I for one have never seen before.

This is also a company I have been searching for info on for many years now, and while unlikely my 1920's PC fixture from them will be in the catalogue, it will be still great to see what else they sold - this given a black hole of info about them in lighting history as a company othrwise so far. This other than address and phone number and them ending as a company somewhere before like the mid-1930's I think in no longer existing in listings for stag lighting companies at that point.

Perhaps Chicago Stage Lighting was a 1929 depression casualty or bought out by Major? Who knows... yet to learn more about them beyond having one of their antique fixtures and a Major next to it in looking somewhat similar but not really and the Major is dated to I think most likely 1926 - the year the theater it was found in opened. Both brands are from Chicago, and neither are in business today. Such a catalogue at least with gear sold back than would be a fascinating look at what was available back in 1916. This catalogue could further date stage lighting history in general. Kliegl webiste has a 1913 catalogue posted, what advancements in that three year period between the two companies were made in filling the hole beween than and the posted 1922 Kliegl catalogue that did list incandescent lamps? Or at least further refinement of it from another source is very important in history.

When did the incandecent plano-convex fixture come out as for-runner to the Leko? Perhaps Chicago Stage Lighting did it before Kliegl did it? Was it out there yet in 1916 or was it perhaps only lensed carbon arc light at this point? 1922 Kliegl catalogue lists the incandescent source Ovallite.. when did it come out within that nine year period?

Hope I win the bid, but otherwise anyone else winning it has a responsibility to publish what's in this catalogue I think.

Last edited:
So I won this catalogue and it's really really cool. Can't imagine how neat yet foreign the writing in the notes section is. Took a few days for one of our receptionests to copy and blow up the pocket manual, than print it up for me in PDF format but thanks to here... (even if a few pages are chotic in orientation.) This catalogue is really cool to read and learn from. A picture of 1916 and while Kliegl website Kliegl Bros. Universal Electric Stage Lighting Company is older in catalogues, they have that 12 year gap when incandescent lamps came to the market for other than foot lights if I remember correctly in them being listed at least for the 1913/1914 catalogue. (For what you can read of it.) This Chicago Stage Lighting catalogue shows such upgrades to other gear and Plano Convex fixtures (the fore-runner to a Leko) with other than arc lamps many years before even I expected to see the. I thought they came out after WW1. Expected perhaps the Ovalite was incandescent, didn't expect the PC fixture was yet on the market with an incandescent lamp.

Enjoy and I forwarded a copy to Dave so he perhaps places this really early catalogue somewhere special on the website. Very useful info on lighting history.

As a subnote... I not only find my I think Kliegl Ovallite could be before 1926, it could go back to between 1914 and 1916 in age. This much less I had thought my Chicago Stage Lighting 1Kw x 6" PC fixture from like the 20's, given this catalogue the only difference between my fixture and the one presented in 1916 is that mine is yoke monted and the one in the catalogue is stand mounted. Perhaps not 1916 for other than special order a yoke mounted version, but for sure oder than I thought and possible back than. Also means my similar Major version in being similar but 2Kw in lamp was probably really 1926 and about than is when the 2Kw lamp came onto the market.

Attachments

• Chicago Stage Lighting Co.pdf
    4 MB · Views: 440
Last edited:
Now I need is a few#216 side mount to stand - stand top parts and I'm all set. Doubt anyone still sells them so I will have to weld/grind them.

I think it supplements the Kliegl website and Fuch's book well as a resource for early lighting thus buying it. Also supplements the concept of Chicago Stage Lighting as a real lighting company beyond being listed in the above 1928 Fuch's book and me having one of their fixtures. Only question for me in continuing quest is what happened to them as a commpany? When did they go under or who bought them out? Even phoned the building they used to occupie... nope no help for info.

Wow! What a find! Some of the things I find fasinating. On page 36 is the resistance plate that became incorporated into the piano board that ruled on B'dway til the '70's/early 80's. Page 48, 49, 50 show stage pin connectors still in sue today ( with modern materials and technology) and the ubicquiteous stage plug and spider box, both once one of the major connectors to dimmers and still in use on hollywood sets today. We have come from salt water vats and copper wound risistors to electronic silicon components for dimmers with IC's and CPU's, yet some of the technology is still in good and proper use today. After all these years , all we want to do is the same. Just different ways of doing it. Drama, mood enhancement and illumination; dance, add form and shape definition and "effects" for magic and such; musicals and opera add shape and flow to complement the music. Begging the pardon of Lighting Design professionals and speciallists. To you I must seem to be glazing over the art and work you do, I spent many years as a lighting designer before going completely tech. But , I just find it fascinating to look back on the things that are new and yet those that are still the same.

Michael Powers, Project Manager, ETCP Certified Rigger - Theatre
Central Lighting & Equipment Inc., Des Moines, Iowa, Central Lighting & Equipment

It’s gold on the edges of the pages like a mini-bible and uses gold lettering on it’s red leatherette cover much like a pocket bible.

Lots of various sketches in it - one “Kill Roy Was Here” sketch - who will have thought such eyes and nose were done back than, another even on the front page, a sort of binary code, Morris code or fill in the blank drawn in.

Interesting that the seller was out of L.A. California yet the only reference I can find to Marienville Place is in Pennsylvania. That's kind of East Coast and I will have thought more of a Kliegl Brother's market amongst others. So what was someone on the East Coast doing with a Chicago Stage Lighting catalogue in 1916? Was origionally thinking a small town or perhaps hotel elsewhere as still possible, but mostly easy research leads to the East Coast town this person lived in - after the town one didn't persay need an address back than. Will ask the seller for more info.

A code lost to the ages amongst other symbols drawn by I think Lue Songen or Lou Songer (sp) the owner of the book. (1906) in prentices under it though that don’t make sense given the year of the book, though there was some scribbles on the page also. Lots of sketches on the cover pages amongst them an American Eagle.

Too bad the later pages were not put on the PDF. Seems this catalogue was owned by Leo W. Songer or perhaps Leo W. Souger dependant on the very neat but old style cursive with quill pen later or in this case pencil.

He lived at Marienville Place and references someone of L.E. Songer (sp) as his first contact should he get injured in an accident. This book was more than just a pocket catalogue, calender and weight/conversion table type of thing - it was who to contact just in case and a day reminder for this person also. Leo weighed 99.5#, was only 4'-11" high when he filled it out. He had a car, it was a Buick #791 and a bicycle I can’t read the type of. Also had a watch of Zill type I think. Shoes were I think 6.1/2 though confusing in writing, Hosiery size 10, Hat was 7.1/2, Collar 13.1/2, Cuffs not filled in.. Shirt 13 than 14 as written over. Undershirt size 36, Drawers also the same... (Short but chubby in the center seemingly given this.) Gloves were size eight, waist was 32". Waist of 32"... not chubby in getting a picture of the guy that owned the book... really muscular or droopy drawers? Perhaps different concepts in undershirt and undie's size to actual waist line otherwise. Seemingly this person lived at home as Dad was his first contact seemingly and of the same address. No idea of the actual address Leo lived at, nor local hospital in listing as only 136___5_4 1/2 provided without doctor or other health info.

Very intimate details about the owner of this book... back in 1916!!! (I will attempt to have the receptionist copy for PDF later in this pocket manual as it gets into stuff like Troy measurements and amount of lime needed to add to paint for various surfaces. Tons of info I have never seen before.

After August 4th’ 1916, this person seemed to have stopped using this pocket guide as a sort of day planner. Very hard to read the writing but I think it’s a planner for one’s next day’s to do list given many things crossed off later and stuff like “wiring” mentioned.

I’ll attempt to have the first page and further parts of the day planner and early Backstage Handbook for 1916 also put into PDF format. Such info is fascinating = this is a look back into a tech person in the Chicago area back in 1916... Fascinating.

Last edited:
Here, you can download my copy that I rotated and edited out a bit of the extra margin.

Chicago Stage Lighting Co

thanks... now onto the owner of this book... research says it's Leo W. Sounger that owned this book. Thinking it's in PA he owned it. Scooby Doo research from here out if East Cost how he had a Central Coast lighting catalogue in his pocket as opposed to an East coast catalogue. This much less about the person that owned the catalogue given the details. Possible to get a photo of this almost 100 year old tech person now that we know his name?

This book should be fascinating both for the family of him in info about a past reletive in his day planner and to us about the person they knew of - a tech person from almost 100 years ago. This I'm actively looking for help on searching out and researching myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back