1948 Spotlight=Deathtrap

CrisCole

Sigh.

This really isn't relevant, but I want to share it. (Mods, if this is in the wrong section, feel free to move it).

The local High School is doing a performance of some sort, and I was asked to come in and help with the lighting...

Well, guess what I find when I get there? A old, old spotlight that was purchased in 1948. No joke-it produces so much Carbon Monoxide, that you don't want to be within 50 feet of it for more than ten seconds (unless the fan is on. Then there is less Carbon Monoxide...which is safer?)

No joke-

I had to change the carbon rods (which burn for approx one hour and 15 minutes) which was...interesting.

Then you have to create an electrical current between them by pulling them apart and pushing them closer. As the show goes and the spot is on, you have to constantly wind them to keep you light on and visible.

I didn't even know these things exsited anymore...

Uh oh, you done opened a can 'o worms here -
No joke-

I had to change the carbon rods (which burn for approx one hour and 15 minutes) which was...interesting.

Then you have to create an electrical current between them by pulling them apart and pushing them closer. As the show goes and the spot is on, you have to constantly wind them to keep you light on and visible.

I didn't even know these things exsited anymore...

I have a feeling that the "no joke" prefix was unnecessary as
several of our most active and knowledgeable members [EDIT: except Ship ;) ] grew up on carbon arcs and this is gonna make them feel ANCIENT! ;)

Sounds like the venting is inadequate or non-existent. Is there a dryer duct looking pipe coming from the top of the unit and hopefully through the ceiling? Sure hope so... And I don't think there should be any time when you should not run the exhaust fan on this if used indoors, but then again, I didn't learn on a carbon arc, nor have I ever personally used one.

Seems like I heard somewhere that the use of these has been banned in several states.

Last edited:
Sounds like a Trouper with a bad feed motor. Gee, I kind of always liked the smell ;)

Actually, the problem is more of one with ozone. Carbons usually "burn" at a high enough temperature that if fully oxidizes to CO2 and not CO. Of course there is always the copper burning off the rods producing all sorts of sulfates which give it that wonderful metallic smell!

Ozone can damage your lungs so arc lights kind of got banned. They still have a warm spot in many of the hearts of some of us "old-timers." :angryoldman:

Deathtrap? No, that's usually the meal before the gig. :pizza:

Uh oh, you done opened a can 'o worms here - several of our best members grew up on carbon arcs!

Sounds like the venting is inadequate or non-existent.

Gotta admit, I have never personally done carbon arc nor own any. I once saw a show come back from a show and in the rear of the trailer were three like 12' long carbon arc fixtures I gave a look at but beyond that have never much seen them. I do know of a place I helped at which I think is still using a small one over it's pre-Altman 1000Q followspot. (Was there a Altman 1000 series with a different base? Never found out more about it beyond attempting to buy lamps to re-lamp it at one point.) This theater has no venting I'm aware of in even worse cautions and situation than your's in seeing. This was their choice to use, the school you helped at perhaps is in a better situation by way of a good reason for a specific fund raising program in getting new follow spots.

Are they unsafe or totally obsolete... no, they even still sell the rods for them on the market and I think a few places still use them. Is there better ways of doing it, yes especially at this level of training/education.

I might at very least recommend a HV/AC contractor come out to inspect and verify the ventilation system is in good proper operating position immediately before such things are used again. At that point, with properly trained people operating the follow spots and proper supervision, I don't see a problem with it.

Last edited:
Not relevant to followspots, but Mole still makes and supports ther Brute-Arc. They even ran a arc light operators class fairly recently. So not totally obsolete (in the film world).

I know where there are 2 Strong Carbon Arc Movie projectors with wind up feed drives from the 1900's...they are in a big metal (and very hot) room. They are not longer in use. This old movie house still has the generator to support them (also no longer in use). It is called the AMUZU in Southport, NC .

Last edited:
I know where there are 2 Strong Carbon Arc Movie projectors with wind up feed drives from the 1900's...they are in a big metal (and very hot) room. They are not longer in use. This old movie house still has the generator to support them (also no longer in use). It is called the AMUZU in Southport, NC .

.....like these....
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

We have two projectors, the automatic changer, the transformers to go along with them, the film reals. They are all still in the projection room off of the booth.

similar...but the body is different. Next time I am in Southport I'll snag some photos. I don't remember all the data on the name plate.

I was around one of those in my youth. It was never used as a follow spot, but it made great lightning from back stage.

A local HS just sold their's at auction a couple of years ago. I learned on a Gladiator, then moved to supers and straight Troopers. I still have two boxes of rods for a super. They should be vented but I have never seen one done that way. I think they made you a better operator, but I may just be old.

I was at a theme park recently (Carowinds in South Carolina), sitting in their amphitheater (The Paladium) for a band competition. I looked up and noticed a catwalk suspended from the ceiling, with dryer vent looking ducting running up to the roof. They had 6 huge, brown spot lights. I was gonna get a picture to post, but my phone couldn't zoom in far enough. I'm pretty sure they were Super Troupers. I'm pretty sure they still use them (I've never seen a concert there so I can't say for sure). All I know is I really want to go up there.

We were having a discussion this past week-end at a festival about running carbons. None of my hands ahd seen one, less alone run one except for one. He had run a trouper a couple of times. The rest had no idea. I was explaining how it was a mark of a good op to be able to change rods quickly. I always did it with a pair of pliers and no gloves. I ahve seen guys milk a rod change using two sets of pliers, gloves and either a pail of water or sand.

Gloves? Gloves? We don't need no stinkin' gloves! ;)

Generally, you just use the new carbons as chopsticks and drop the stubs in the tray inside the light. (You can take care of them after the show.)

Lick your fingers, hit the releases, flip the stubs, slip in the new trim, open douser, jog the rack to bead the reflector, close douser, door, then strike and stabilize. About 45 to 60 seconds tops. com: "Spot 2 back"

I agree 100%. I used one set of pliers, open the releases, tap out the stubs, insert the new rod and push the releases down. Strike and go. I have seen guys use it as a smoke break. Talk about driving an LD nuts. I loved it when the LD was surprised when I said I was back so quick.

Carbon arc, a deathtrap??? not so. if vented, actually a very safe, reliable workhorse. State of the art for many years. I have run many different types from the small Troupers to the giant Genarcos with positive carbons 24" long and as big around as a broom stick. I worked as a Strong Repair technician for a while in the early '70's, so I do have a small appreciation of the workings of the carbon arc light.

Back in the stone age, when I was in grad school I did a paper on "The Development of the Carbon Arc in the 19th Century". Went from battery powered, carbon arc furnaces used for carbide production and steel smelting, street lights in Paris, to back stage flood lights and then to FOH theatrical spot lights. They of course played a major role in both the World Wars as air raid search lights and then for many years were the beams of light you saw in the sky at openings of new movies, special events and such. Between 1820 and 1885 over 200 patents were issued for mechanisms to regulate or feed the carbons as they burned. One of the more interesting, the Jablokoff Candle, relied on a marvelous, controversial new development, alternating current. In the "normal" DC current supplied by a battery or later by dynamo, the positive carbon will burn away at about twice the rate of the negative. the Jablokoff candle, used extensively in street lights in Paris, took two carbons, side by side/parallel, insulated by a thin layer of kaolin or china clay. The alternating current burned the two carbons at equal rate, making the Jablokoff candle self regulating.

The real Death Trap was what the carbon arc replaced, the Lime Light. The lime light was produced by focusing an Oxygen-Acetylene flame (welding gas) onto a block of lime. The lime when heated, incandessed, producing a very bright light and our present slang term to "be in the Lime Light". And that was the real "Death Trap." Metal cylinders for gas did not exist yet, nor did gauges or regulators. The gas was contained in skin bags and the operator sat on the bags to produce and maintain proper pressure to produce a good flame. Explosions and fires were not uncommon.

So, what was that you said about that finely crafted piece of antique machinery?? Deathtrap!!! Not So!!

Michael Powers, Project Manager
ETCP Certified Rigger - Theatre
Central Lighting & Equipment Inc.
675 NE 45th Place, Des Moines,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back