2 projectors controlled by 1 computer

Hunter.tech

My area of concentration is more so to do with lighting and I don't know too much about projections. The designer wants to hang a projector on either front of house boom and aim it at the opposite house wall to project images during scenes to give the audience the feel that they too are in the scene. The show is the Lion King so it's a lot of nature projections (leaves and whatnot). The 2 projectors will always be projecting the same image and it would be so nice to be able to control them both from one computer. I need advice on if this is possible and how it can (cheaply) be done. At this point in time I do not know the specific type of projectors being used; it's nothing more than a standard High School projector though. Any advice you can offer would be GREATLY appreciated!!

To the computer a projector is a monitor and hooks up the same way.

So the first way is to use a splitter (whether it's VGA or HDMI). You feed the splitter from the computer, and the splitter feeds the signal to both projectors.

The second way is to use a DESKTOP computer with multiple outputs...you may need a second video card for the booth monitor (there are some video cards that do have three outputs, BUT on most you can only use two out of the three at once). Some laptop computers have two outputs, but very few allow you to use both at once!

The last way depends on the projector, one of your projectors may have a "VGA monitor out" on it, and if you are using "VGA in" (it only works if you are using VGA in, not HDMI or other input), you can use the VGA monitor out to feed the second projector.

Another thing you will have to consider is how long a cable run to the projectors you are talking about as there are limits to how long you can run cables...see the threads on "extenders" as an alternative way to connect projectors.

Yes. In addition to a splitter, I would suggest a Distribution Amplifier. It not only duplicates your signal, but it will increase the signal strength as well for longer distances. Here is an example of a DVI DA. Even though it will boost the signal, you still will need to know how far your cable run is as it can still need an extender or fiber optics to go longer distances. Depending on what you are trying to achieve, you may want to consider an analog signal which can get you longer cable runs without the use of an extender.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back