2-Scene Board Question

gafftapegreenia

CBMod
CB Mods
So, I've been looking into the most basic of basic light boards just for my own personal, light duty/play use. No intelligent just PAR cans and the like. Now, if I bought an 8 channel, 2 scene board, I know I can set it to have a total of 16 channelsin 1 scene. Now, in theory, couldn't I control more than 16 lights by addressing my dimmers in duplicates, I.E., having two channel #4's , etc. I see no reason why this wouldn't work.

Also, I know we have discussed it, but, short and sweet, what $200 - $500 boards would people recommend.

This is rather common if channels are limited. If two lights are always up at the same time at the same level, then just put them on the same dimmer, or patch the two dimmers to the same channel. This is one reason why many portable dimmer packs have two outlets per dimmer, so that you can fit on more lights without having more channels.

be aware that some two scene boards do NOT let you operate in expanded mode. Leprechaun for one on the lower end units

Sharyn

Yeah, you need to read the manual really careful. Some of what you are saying may or may not be true depending on the board. There's a lot of differences out there on the low end.

Also, most dimmer don't let you address dimmers independently. I know lightronics does, but most you give a starting address and go. Also, very few small consoles have a soft patch of any kind. Odds are you will not want to have multiple dimmers on one channel. Having multiple fixture on one dimmer will be done, but you won't want to give away any control that you paid for.

Good stuff to know, and much as I suspected; depends upon the equipment.

But, assuming you had a two scene board that allowed you to switch from two 8 channel scenes to one 16 channel scene, and something along the lines of Leprechon hanging dimmers that allow you to address them manually, it should work, right? The only problem I can think of is a board not being able to handle two or three dimmers hard patched at "Number 6".

Good stuff to know, and much as I suspected; depends upon the equipment.
But, assuming you had a two scene board that allowed you to switch from two 8 channel scenes to one 16 channel scene, and something along the lines of Leprechon hanging dimmers that allow you to address them manually, it should work, right? The only problem I can think of is a board not being able to handle two or three dimmers hard patched at "Number 6".

The board doesn't know whats out there. DMX is a one way protocol. If you want to hook up 9 million dimmers (theoretical) and put them all in DMX address 4 and fire the console up and turn on channel 4, all 9 million dimmers will turn on. The board basically sends something out and hope someone is listening. Basically, think of you going out on your porch and yelling really loudly 16 @ FL, and hope someone listens. If 300 people out their are "addressed" to 16, they will all turn on at full. You didn't need to yell louder to get all of them to listen.

How cool an explanation was that?

NSI's MC series of control board all allow for expanded mode operation.

The MC-7016 which cost arount $ 499.00 on the street can be used as a 16 channel two scene console, single scene 32 channel console or a 16 scene memory console. It also features two user programmable 23 step chases. It comes standard with Microplex protocol and DMX is available.

www.nsicorp.com

When I first started out on my own, I bought a StageSetter 8. They are made by American DJ or Elation (although it was by a different company, if I remember correctly). It was a decent little board for the money, and I bought it used on Ebay for about $80. It is a 2 scene board that will allow 16 channels, and I did the same thing with addressing 2 dimer packs to the same channel. It is easy, since I always had SL and SR of the same colors.

If you have the money, I would suggest a better board, such as NSI or the like. My little board is a NSI MLC 128R that I bought for about $500 used. It will run par cans and when you do get movers, it will run them as well. There are plenty of other great boards out there as well.

Elation Scene Setter 16, 24, or 48. Unbelievable flexibility in a dirt cheap board! An get this; If you are into DPC (dimmer per circuit) you can pick up the RDM1210 packs for about $1100 each. They are 12 channel, blade (modular) rack mount dimmers with magnetic breakers, and can soft-patch all 12 channels to different DMX addresses independently. Need 1k, 2k, 46k on one channel? no problem! This may sound funny from an old EDI guy (still have about 96k of scrimmers in the shed) but its hard to ignore some of this low end stuff that works so well.

Elation Scene Setter 16, 24, or 48. Unbelievable flexibility in a dirt cheap board! An get this; If you are into DPC (dimmer per circuit) you can pick up the RDM1210 packs for about $1100 each. They are 12 channel, blade (modular) rack mount dimmers with magnetic breakers, and can soft-patch all 12 channels to different DMX addresses independently. Need 1k, 2k, 46k on one channel? no problem! This may sound funny from an old EDI guy (still have about 96k of scrimmers in the shed) but its hard to ignore some of this low end stuff that works so well.

Scrimmer?! That's the first time I've heard them mentioned here. We have an OLD scrimmer 12 channel 2 scene board. From about 1968. It is currently a piece 'o junk.

We have an OLD scrimmer 12 channel 2 scene board. From about 1968. It is currently a piece 'o junk.
The old Scrimmer boards were really weird (underlite with a florescent light) to say the least! The packs on the other hand... Well, the reason they are back in the shed is they never die! Most are 20 to 30 years old and still work despite everything. 120 amp SCR bridge on a 2 k dimmer! Geeezzz! Just ashamed that portability comes with a fork lift, and they are analog.

I agree with the NSI MC 7008. They are an excellent console. Easy to use, durable, and very reliable. It is also easy to repair should it ever be damaged.

The other user was correct, the console is MPX standard, but can easily be upgraded to DMX also (once upgraded it uses both protocols). This can be done at any certified repair shop. You can also order it from a lighting house w/ DMX onboard.

I doubt many people will agree with me, but this is what I would do/have been doing at my school.
first, let me say that running anything off of the NSI 7000 series makes me want to kill myself.
i would ebay some old analog stuff. If you are clever, you can make your own "patch" out of a terminal strip or something.
the other option is a cheap enttec usb dongle and free software.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back