2019 Mac Pro — crazy or not?

Discussion in 'Multimedia, Projection, and Show Control' started by azylka, Sep 27, 2019.

1. azylka

azylka Active Member

Technical Director
    Hey all, I haven't seen anything here about the latest Mac Pro yet (probably because it isn't released), but what do we think about it as a QLab/everything else production machine? Overkill? Future-proof to the gills? Is it missing something you'd want?

What config(s) would you consider for your own workflow? For video heavy stuff? For audio heavy stuff?

RonHebbard likes this.
  2. MNicolai

MNicolai Well-Known Member Fight Leukemia

Consultant
    Overkill for audio, some version of it probably necessary for video depending on how much content you're pushing, what resolution it's at, and whether you're using Qlab FX or not. Figure53 has some good guides on their site for selecting the storage, graphics, CPU, and RAM appropriate for your rig depending on what you're trying to do.

I would estimate most Qlab rigs I encounter are audio-only playback rigs on Mac Mini's, and the sound designers typically roll on Macbook Pro's when they're doing the initial sound design for convenience of portability.

NickVon, macsound and RonHebbard like this.
  3. Footer

Footer Senior Team Senior Team Premium Member

Nothing is overlkill when you are talking about high res video. Everything is overkill for audio.

4. EdSavoie

EdSavoie Well-Known Member

College Student
    For anything other than QLab, absolutely bonkers and pointless.

For QLab, makes a lot of sense for very high resolution video / advanced effects.

RonHebbard likes this.
  5. ruinexplorer

ruinexplorer Sherpa CB Mods Premium Member Fight Leukemia

Projectionist
    Looks like they want to get back a lot of the video editing guys that they have ignored for too long. How I would configure it? That really depends on what I want to do with it. Personally, I would love to have a shot at playing with one for editing. Rendering time would be so much better. It will also be able to handle real-time graphics a lot better than so many machines. So personally, I would be looking towards a program that fits that capability. Interactive projections will be killer!

RonHebbard likes this.
  6. Gambino

Gambino Member

I come from a shooting/ editing background in cinema and video so I agree with @ruinexplorer. Before this mac all macbook pro from 2016 to this day are kind of too much hype and not enough stability or specs. They lost a lot of ground to pc and people building their entire workstations for half the cost. Which is a huge thing if you think about it! Now they have a whole new line where they ramped up not only the specs but also the prices, big time. So they're in a position where if they don't guarantee awesome specs and even better stability at that price point people will continue to look elsewhere.
    I see this new Mac pro for big editing/VFX/ color grading companies who are willing to pay for that fast and stable machine.
    It's an awesome machine to transcode video files but so are some pc's that cost 1/6 of the price
    In terms of live performance I would not say that it is an overkill for video, as nothing is an overkill for video :)

RonHebbard likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice