2022 Olympics

macsound

I've been watching the Olympics every night and it seems like every single indoor venue has a plethora of moving lights on truss, but I've never seen any of them being used.
Here's one screenshot and the Youtube video it's from
I know at the start of the video there's some projection, but it's complicated and would be insane to put that together with moving light's gobos, and I can see the row of double stacked projectors, so I ruled that out.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Screen Shot 2022-02-18 at 9.58.29 AM.png

And with the countless makers of moving lights in this country, I can only imagine someone had a brother-in-law somewhere in charge...

The venues will outlast the olympics. It is likely the MLS are part of a house rig that will be used for shows, or to put logos on the ice. There is also a good chance that pre-COVID the program had pre and post event activities that called for eye candy. Awards ceremonies, for instance.

The venues will outlast the olympics. It is likely the MLS are part of a house rig that will be used for shows, or to put logos on the ice. There is also a good chance that pre-COVID the program had pre and post event activities that called for eye candy. Awards ceremonies, for instance.
The venues will also have pre- and post-olympics activities, where the moving lights may be usefull. All the indoor events where held in renovated venues, mostly from the 2008 Summer olympics. All except one: the speed skating competition as seen in the video and photo. That's build on the old Olympic green hockey field complex.

The closing ceremony was pretty impressive, I'll admit. Between the pixel mapping, automated lighting and fireworks spectacle- I was impressed. :)

Most of that Lighting is soft panel lights or arena lighting for correct light levels for camera. There are absolutely truss and movers in the background. But if you are an ice skater in competition guess what you don’t want a hard edged spot moving light following you, doing ballyhoos or rainbow chases while you try to land a quad. If you watched the figure skating “gala” after figure skating finals were done you see the movers used and a very theatrical blue ice and followspots but even the announcers mention how blinding and hard that makes skating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back