220 Volt Dimmer control packs

Can anyone tell me where I can find a 220 volt dimmer panel that is fed directly from the circuit panel, and can control multiple receptacles??? I was told that you can purchase one, but do not know from where or what model numbers they might be. I have 65 receptacles in the ceiling that could be controlled if I was able to place a dimmer control pack inline between them and the circuit panel.

Could you perhaps rephrase/restate the question. In the US, all incandescent theatrical light fixtures are 120VAC. If your supply has 220V, it also has 120V. A "220V dimmer" would supply 220V to the 120V lamps. They'd be bright, but would not last long.

This borders on our Safety Policies of "If you have to ask, you shouldn't be doing it," but we'll give you another chance to explain.

220 sounds like Europe. If you could advise us of your location we would be better able to make recommendations. And this would be a case of using a licensed electrician...

Can anyone tell me where I can find a 220 volt dimmer panel that is fed directly from the circuit panel, and can control multiple receptacles??? I was told that you can purchase one, but do not know from where or what model numbers they might be. I have 65 receptacles in the ceiling that could be controlled if I was able to place a dimmer control pack inline between them and the circuit panel.
This sounds like a job for your local theatrical dealer and a licensed electrician. This would be a dimmer installation, probably a permanent one, and as has been mentioned, it sounds like you don't really have any idea what you need/want, or how to install it. One thing is certain, this will be an expensive project (even more so if you attempted it yourself and botched it). Any of your local dealers should be able to put together a bid on a dimming system and installation for you, or tell you who can.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the member in question is a sparky, then that's fine. Talk to your local theatrical dealer as Alex said and they should be in a position to help you work out what you need and then quote it etc. Given the aforementioned electrical ticket, you should be in a position to install it yourself, which should save you a reasonable amount in labour costs...

Basically what you are going to end up doing is pulling the circuits out of the panel, and wiring them into a dimmer rack. Based on your local NEC you are going to have to either repull the wires, or if you are allowed to splice in a panel do a hell fo a lot of splicing. You will be pulling all three wires for each plug into the dimmer rack. Each plug will be on a separate dimmer. ETC makes the industry standard dimmer. And you will have to get an ETC tech to come out to do the inital turn on. They are going to check all the wiring and make sure the rack has been assembled correctly. If you do not do this you will end up voiding the warranty.

jjestrauss and derekleffew have taken this discussion private. I gave him this link to ETC Sensor dimmers, and advised him to contact his local ETC vendor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back