Let me know the difference between the following lamps
1: 230V HPL 750WXN
2: 230V HPL 750WXN/M

any body can reply with details of difference
expecting reply
with regards
moideen

According to a very quick google search on the lamp,
The /M designation means it has a metal base instead of ceramic. According to the referenced document, the ceramic base was introduced to cut down on arcing in humid environments. The metal base was discontinued then reintroduced.

Last edited by a moderator:
From the HPL brochure 2007kleinformaat.pdf that sk8rsdad cited:
n the early 90’s the HPL lamp was developed in close cooperation of ETC™ and USHIO. A decade later
the ceramic base was the response for applications in humid surrounding where arcing between the
socket and the metal base occurred. As some of our customers prefer the traditional design, we now
re-launch the Metal base type next to our Ceramic base type.

Both types are identical in life-time and optical performances. Certainly they both feature USHIO’s ultra
compact filament design giving maximum intensity with an even circular light distribution ...
Aside from the humidity concerns, we have anecdotal evidence that the ceramic based lamp may be acoustically quieter--see this post in reference to lamp sing.

Last edited:
From the HPL brochure 2007kleinformaat.pdf that sk8rsdad cited:

Aside from the humidity concerns, we have anecdotal evidence that the ceramic based lamp may be acoustically quieter--see this post in reference to lamp sing.

And then there is the actual, Non-marketing reason: It was cheaper. We tried it, got negative feedback on it, and decided to immediately switch back. USHIO had better success at acceptance from the market, and stayed with it. GE and Philips stayed with Metal. Personally I prefer the metal for the ease of fitting the lamp into the socket. The metal on metal slides in better (in my opinion), with less friction than what I experienced relamping using ceramic bases. But that's just me as the former M.E. speaking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back