240v phase-phase vs phase-neutral?

Discussion in 'Lighting and Electrics' started by danTt, Sep 21, 2019.

1. danTt

danTt Well-Known Member

Master Electrician
    So a bit of a weird one that I feel like I know the answer to but find specific justification with current googleage.

Ignoring frequency for this discussion, is there any different between "European" 240v power where the voltage is 240v line-neutral and "US" 240V power where that voltage exists phase-phase? Can you use connectors normally designed for a line+neutral (ie powercon) for phase-phase operation and feel safe on an NEC/LEGAL grounds? My gut (and experience with every rental house everywhere) says yes, but I can't find anything saying this is actually true. In both cases you have two current carrying conductors, but neutral is always treated a bit special even when a current carrying conductor..

Van and RonHebbard like this.
  2. RonHebbard

RonHebbard Well-Known Member Premium Member

Van likes this.
  3. JD

JD Well-Known Member

There is actually a general issue with PowerCon connectors, and a gray area as they end up being used at 208 phase-to-phase. Same could be said about Socapex connectors. Still the practice is widespread. If a connector is rated for 240v, and the ground is kept at ground then both the H & N contacts are considered current carrying conductors. Kind of reminds me of using 12/3 for 208 volts. Still going to be B/W/G but white is no longer neutral. Not sure if it is still required, but I always slipped a piece of red heat-shrink over the W in the connector.

Van likes this.
  4. STEVETERRY

STEVETERRY Well-Known Member

Daniel Sepke, Van, macsound and 3 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice