240v phase-phase vs phase-neutral?

danTt

Premium Member
So a bit of a weird one that I feel like I know the answer to but find specific justification with current googleage.

Ignoring frequency for this discussion, is there any different between "European" 240v power where the voltage is 240v line-neutral and "US" 240V power where that voltage exists phase-phase? Can you use connectors normally designed for a line+neutral (ie powercon) for phase-phase operation and feel safe on an NEC/LEGAL grounds? My gut (and experience with every rental house everywhere) says yes, but I can't find anything saying this is actually true. In both cases you have two current carrying conductors, but neutral is always treated a bit special even when a current carrying conductor..

So a bit of a weird one that I feel like I know the answer to but find specific justification with current googleage.

Ignoring frequency for this discussion, is there any different between "European" 240v power where the voltage is 240v line-neutral and "US" 240V power where that voltage exists phase-phase? Can you use connectors normally designed for a line+neutral (ie powercon) for phase-phase operation and feel safe on an NEC/LEGAL grounds? My gut (and experience with every rental house everywhere) says yes, but I can't find anything saying this is actually true. In both cases you have two current carrying conductors, but neutral is always treated a bit special even when a current carrying conductor..
Calling @STEVETERRY
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Reactions: Van
There is actually a general issue with PowerCon connectors, and a gray area as they end up being used at 208 phase-to-phase. Same could be said about Socapex connectors. Still the practice is widespread. If a connector is rated for 240v, and the ground is kept at ground then both the H & N contacts are considered current carrying conductors. Kind of reminds me of using 12/3 for 208 volts. Still going to be B/W/G but white is no longer neutral. Not sure if it is still required, but I always slipped a piece of red heat-shrink over the W in the connector.

Reactions: Van
Calling @STEVETERRY
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

A few comments:

1. The Neutrik powerCon does not have a listing that specifies whether or not it must be used phase-to-neutral or phase-to-phase. In fact, it is not listed at all, but rather UL recognized as an appliance connector, with a maximum voltage rating of 250V. For a full discussion of UL Listed vs. UL Recognized and what it means to the application of the powerCon, see this link: https://blog.etcconnect.com/2018/03/product-listing-secrets-ul-listed-vs-ul-recognized/

2. In North America, any Listed connector with a NEMA configuration will specify which pole of the connector must be connected to neutral. In the case of a 250V connector, there will be no such requirement so a phase-to-phase connection is OK. A 20A stage pin connector must be connected phase to neutral. For more on this subject, see https://blog.etcconnect.com/2019/06...or-to-feed-a-208v-luminaire-in-north-america/

3. To determine whether it is safe to use a given piece of equipment phase-to-phase at 208V and phase-to-neutral at 240V, you must consult the manufacturer of that specific piece of equipment.

4. For further discussion of connector ratings in the entertainment industry, see attached article.

ST

Attachments

• Electrical Connector Ratings Spring 2019.pdf
    284 KB · Views: 255

Users who are viewing this thread

Back