26x26 Preference

thommyboy

M-Audio ProFire 2626
Presonus firestudio 2626

I am finally getting the funds to replace the Mackie Satellite in my sound booth. Currently we are using Adobe Audition for our recording and I am looking at both of the above interfaces. I have not used Pro-Tools before, but I recognize that it is the industry standard...which I should be encouraging my students to use.

Any feedback on build quality, sound quality, ease of use, preamp quality etc.would be great.

ProTools is a good choice - the learning curve isn't too bad. You MUST be connected to the hardware in order to use the DAW, however. The software pings the hardware at random intervals to prevent people from using it without buying the program.

I have used Audacity in the past and I feel that, if you are staying with Windows, you should keep it and just use an interface of your choosing. Also take a look at Focusrite for some other interface options.

If you are going the Mac route, you might also consider Digital Performer (MOTU) and Nuendo. MOTU has proven interfaces which can be used for recording and as standalone I/O. RME has some, as well

Most of the interfaces nowadays use either a PCI card or, more popularly, Firewire, which may or may not limit your choices. Again, almost all of them have at least S/PDIF (2-channel) for digital signal I/O or maybe ADAT Lightpipe or TOSLINK. The ADAT I/O allows for expansion/addition of units as needed and are pretty much independent of what brand is used.

If you plan to ever use the rig live (for recording, mayhaps), it might behoove you to look into an extender which converts to and from ADAT/TOSLINK to Cat5/twisted pair cable. That could let you place the preamps on-stage (or at least near it) and run digitally all the way back to the main unit.

I hope I've helped a bit, I know that I've heaped on a bunch of options, but that's what it seemed you wanted.

Best of luck!

I just realized I misread your post.

Heh, well...I'll leave what I wrote before for anyone else interested in the topic.

I have no experience with the M-Audio or Presonus devices you listed, so I'm sorry I can't be of more help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back